Make all tracks same height

This read-only archive contains discussions from the Adding Feature forum.
New feature request may be posted to the Adding Feature forum.
Technical support is available via the Help forum.

Make all tracks same height

Permanent link to this post Posted by fohrums » Tue Sep 13, 2016 11:50 pm

Split from http://forum.audacityteam.org/viewtopic.php?p=313010#p313010

Gale Andrews wrote:Do you want to request a setting that makes all tracks default height? It would mean much scrolling up and down in a project with many tracks.

That would be very helpful. Because I don't mind the extra scrolling, what matters to me is being able to see both adjustment-levelers; Gain & Pan.

:idea: - So having an option (along with a hotkey to do-so) to set all tracks to default view would save me the time & hassle and it's a function within Audacity so it makes sense for this revert-back-option to exist.
fohrums

Operating System: Windows 10

Re: Make all tracks same height

Permanent link to this post Posted by Gale Andrews » Wed Sep 14, 2016 1:07 pm

If we added what you request, I think we would offer a custom height for mono and stereo tracks to use as the default. So your default could be taller or less tall than our default.

Note that there is a keyboard method of opening the gain or pan slider for the focused track (the one with the yellow border), even if the sliders are invisible. Use UP or DOWN arrow to move the focus border to the required track, then SHIFT + G to open the gain slider or SHIFT + P to open the pan slider.

Gale
________________________________________FOR INSTANT HELP: (Click on Link below)
* * * * * Tips * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Quick Start Guide * * * * * Audacity Manual
Gale Andrews
Quality Assurance

Operating System: Windows 10

Re: Make all tracks same height

Permanent link to this post Posted by Edgar » Wed Sep 14, 2016 8:44 pm

Gale Andrews wrote:If we added what you request, I think we would offer a custom height for mono and stereo tracks to use as the default. So your default could be taller or less tall than our default.

+1 - for both - adding a set* of default heights to preferences & a menu item (?) for quick access to set all tracks to default height.

* don't forget, there are more types of tracks than just audio (label, note etc.)

PS – a while back, when we were playing with something else, I gave my users the start of something like this:
Heights.png
Heights.png (78.65 KiB) Viewed 472 times

The only track type with which I dealt was the Label Track. If I were going to add others I would reverse the position of the next two sections (Snap To & Pan/Gain), make an Audio Track section (which would include Pan/Gain) which would be moved above the Track section as well as any other necessary sections for track types desired.
I would add the access activator to the View menu in the section containing Expand/Contract All Tracks.
-Edgar
compiling Audacity daily
64-bit Windows 7
Edgar
Forum Crew

Operating System: Windows 7

Return to Feature Request Archive