Exporting for Mixing

This read-only archive contains discussions from the Adding Feature forum.
New feature request may be posted to the Adding Feature forum.
Technical support is available via the Help forum.

Re: Exporting for Mixing

Permanent link to this post Posted by Gale Andrews » Fri Aug 19, 2016 2:33 pm

steve wrote:I presume that fixing the original problem of providing a way to "mix and render a selection", so that we can then export leading silence by default, would provide an acceptable solution?

Presumably it would for Richard Ash, but there are two camps for what is reasonable export behaviour for leading white space, so perhaps that should be an option anyway. I don't know if we'd want such an option to apply to render as well as export - I can see Richard's point about Mix and Render leaving leading white space out of account.

Mix and Render of a region seems more of a fringe feature to me. Would you (Steve) find it useful?

Gale
________________________________________FOR INSTANT HELP: (Click on Link below)
* * * * * Tips * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Quick Start Guide * * * * * Audacity Manual
Gale Andrews
Quality Assurance

Operating System: Windows 10

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Fri Aug 19, 2016 3:17 pm

Gale Andrews wrote:Mix and Render of a region seems more of a fringe feature to me. Would you (Steve) find it useful?

Yes, quite often, but more importantly, it would provide a simple way to accommodate the needs of both those that want leading white-space rendered as silence, and those that want to omit leading white-space. "Normal" mix and render would render the entire track including leading white-space. Ctr+A then render selection, would render the entire track omitting leading white-space (because it's not selected). Click on the track control panel to select just one track without leading white-space. No need for special case IF/OR/ELSE conditional logic, just one standard method that supports both camps.

For exporting (and Export Multiple), I think there would need to be an option to omit leading white-space - probably a checkbox.
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)
steve
Site Admin

Operating System: Linux *buntu

Permanent link to this post Posted by Gale Andrews » Fri Aug 19, 2016 4:38 pm

steve wrote:
Gale Andrews wrote:Mix and Render of a region seems more of a fringe feature to me. Would you (Steve) find it useful?

Yes, quite often, but more importantly, it would provide a simple way to accommodate the needs of both those that want leading white-space rendered as silence, and those that want to omit leading white-space. "Normal" mix and render would render the entire track including leading white-space. Ctr+A then render selection, would render the entire track omitting leading white-space (because it's not selected). Click on the track control panel to select just one track without leading white-space. No need for special case IF/OR/ELSE conditional logic, just one standard method that supports both camps.

The thing that worried me about that is the behaviour change. Now you can disregard the selection (which you might want to retain) when rendering the whole track, just as you can disregard the selection when using File > Export Audio to export the whole track.

steve wrote:For exporting (and Export Multiple), I think there would need to be an option to omit leading white-space - probably a checkbox.

Yes I still think so. But think the defaults for Export and Render should treat leading white space the same.

Gale
* * * * * Tips * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Quick Start Guide * * * * * Audacity Manual
Gale Andrews
Quality Assurance

Permanent link to this post Posted by waxcylinder » Mon Sep 19, 2016 10:44 am

Gale, have you already recorded Charlie's vote - and if so can I then archive this?

Peter
* * * * * FAQ * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Audacity Manual * * * * * Audacity Wiki * * * * *
waxcylinder
Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by Gale Andrews » Mon Sep 19, 2016 12:45 pm

waxcylinder wrote:Gale, have you already recorded Charlie's vote - and if so can I then archive this?

Yes, I've archived this now.

Gale
Gale Andrews
Quality Assurance

Previous

Return to Feature Request Archive