Exporting for Mixing

This read-only archive contains discussions from the Adding Feature forum.
New feature request may be posted to the Adding Feature forum.
Technical support is available via the Help forum.

Exporting for Mixing

Permanent link to this post Posted by MzSammyG » Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:23 am

Hello!!!!

Hi I'm going a little crazy trying to figure out how I can export each recording for my producer to mix.

I've used multiple export and selection export but every time it's gone to my producer it arrived as the clip only. How can I export each recording that will start from beginning of the song till the end so that the producer wont need to find where it should go in the beat?

I really hope this is possible.....

Thanks for all your help in advance. :D

Samantha x
MzSammyG

Operating System: Please select

Re: Exporting for Mixing

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:03 am

When you export a track (or multiple tracks), the exports start from the beginning of the audio in the track and ends at the end of the audio in the track. To make the exported track start from time=0.0, the track must start at time=0.0.

I agree it would be very useful if there were an option to tell Audacity to export tracks starting at time=0.0, but currently there isn't, so try this:

1) Ctrl + A (select All)
2) "Home" key (cursor to start of project (Time=0.0)
3) Shift + END (select to the end of the project)
4) Ctrl + T (Trim. This ensures that there is no audio before the start of the project).
5) Home (cursor back to start
6) Generate one second of silence (Generate menu)
All tracks now have 1 second of silence inserted at the start of the track.
7) Export Multiple.
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)
steve
Site Admin

Operating System: Linux *buntu

Permanent link to this post Posted by MzSammyG » Sat Jul 25, 2015 9:35 am

Thanks for taking the time Steve.

It still didn't work for me :-( unless I'm doing it wrong but followed each step and it didn't export in full.

I'll just need to invest in another program.

Thanks again for your time Steve!

MzSammyG
MzSammyG

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Sat Jul 25, 2015 11:49 am

MzSammyG wrote:It still didn't work for me :-(

I can assure you that the method does work (I use it regularly), so perhaps we could try to work out what you are doing wrong.
Perhaps you could post a screenshot of your project after you have added one second of silence to the start of each track.

See here for how to use Audacity's screenshot tool: http://manual.audacityteam.org/o/man/he ... html#tools
See here for how to attach a picture to your forum post: viewtopic.php?f=49&t=64936
steve
Site Admin

Permanent link to this post Posted by CharlieSummers » Tue Aug 16, 2016 3:38 pm

steve wrote:I agree it would be very useful if there were an option to tell Audacity to export tracks starting at time=0.0, but currently there isn't, so try this:

First off, thank you so much for this. My problem was slightly different; I had an old project I needed to edit with the first (intro) track silenced, so I muted it, exported as WAV, and...no silence. Drove me up a tree trying to figure out what I was doing wrong. Turns out only Audacity is wrong, not me.

Secondly, this has to be considered a bug...clearly Audacity is not respecting the reasonable expectations of the user in this exporting case, so there's no way this shouldn't be considered, treated, and eventually fixed as any other bug.
CharlieSummers

Permanent link to this post Posted by Gale Andrews » Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:34 am

CharlieSummers wrote:has to be considered a bug

A bug is something that is accidentally wrong. What is the feature request? An option to export before the start of the track? It's a popular request and I would expect that some time it will happen.

Gale
________________________________________FOR INSTANT HELP: (Click on Link below)
* * * * * Tips * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Quick Start Guide * * * * * Audacity Manual
Gale Andrews
Quality Assurance

Operating System: Windows 10

Permanent link to this post Posted by CharlieSummers » Wed Aug 17, 2016 2:32 pm

Gale Andrews wrote:
CharlieSummers wrote:has to be considered a bug

A bug is something that is accidentally wrong.

No, a bug is an error in code, one causing the program to act in a way unexpected by the user (or any reasonable expectation) - it can be an accidental error, an oversight, or even an intentional decision that is contrary to reasonable expectation. And you are missing the point; an export would be assumed by the user to start at 0:00 and end at the endpoint of the final track (assuming Export Audio, not Export Multiple) - no one asks for nor expects it to export negative time...any track slid past 0:00 must have been moved there for a reason and should not be considered part of the final mix. The observed behavior in my case is that Export begins the export 30-seconds into the file assuming the first 30-second track is muted but not removed. I am not asking (nor would I assume) if one intentionally slid a track into negative time that that section would be exported, but it should always start at 0:00 for a full export, and Audacity does not do this.

In my case, using an old mix of 14 tracks, I:

1) Muted the first 30-second intro track so I could replace it with a "Best Of" intro later;

2) Selected Export Audio from the File Menu.

3) Instead of a 1:59:30 WAV file as expected, I received a 1:59:02 WAV file (intro speak overlapped the intro track), beginning at the start of track 2, not at 0:00 as expected. Indeed, even the process detailed above does not cure this issue; I had to add an additional track, generate a second's worth of noise at the 0:00 point, then Amplify it into oblivion in the re-run mix.

This is a bug, and is reproducible.
CharlieSummers

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Wed Aug 17, 2016 3:17 pm

I mostly agree with you CharlieSummers. I would quibble about is the definition of "bug", but that's really immaterial. The important aspect is that the behaviour of Audacity in this respect catches people out because it is both unexpected and unhelpful and it should be "fixed".

CharlieSummers wrote: I had to add an additional track, generate a second's worth of noise at the 0:00 point, then Amplify it into oblivion in the re-run mix.

It's sufficient to generate "silence" (also in the Generate menu). "Silence" counts as valid audio, where as "white space" (empty track) doesn't.

CharlieSummers wrote:it should always start at 0:00 for a full export, and Audacity does not do this.

If a user wants the export to start later than 0:00, there is a feature specifically for that case, called "Export Selection".

Perhaps it would be better if we did treat it as a bug (whether it fits our definition of bug or not), so as to expedite it being fixed.

The other thing that I would disagree with is that I think the current behaviour should be retained as a non-default option, because there are cases where it is useful. As an example, say you have a large multi-track project made up of many tracks with one short clip per track. You may want to make backup copies of the audio in each track, but you could have tracks that are several minutes of silence followed by a few seconds of audio. In such a case you would probably want to export just the audio.

I don't know what the developer had in mind when he changed Audacity to exclude leading silence, but I presume there was some reason for it.
steve
Site Admin

Permanent link to this post Posted by Gale Andrews » Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:57 pm

I moved the topic to "Adding features" so the "vote" of CharlieSummers will be counted.

As Steve says, some use cases benefit from the behaviour we have now, and that behaviour was a deliberate decision. It is contrary to CharlieSummers' perception of reasonable behaviour for his use case, but we have to think of all use cases.

For CharlieSummers' information I have long supported having an option for exporting leading white space as silence and I questioned the change when it was made. It was done so that Tracks > Mix and Render did not add silence to clips that were offset from zero, in the absence of any way to select the region you want to render. See http://audacity.238276.n2.nabble.com/r11248-Update-the-implementation-to-make-sense-in-a-multi-clip-environment-td6736169.html.

Gale
________________________________________FOR INSTANT HELP: (Click on Link below)
* * * * * Tips * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Quick Start Guide * * * * * Audacity Manual
Gale Andrews
Quality Assurance

Operating System: Windows 10

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:15 pm

Gale Andrews wrote: It was done so that Tracks > Mix and Render did not add silence to clips that were offset from zero, in the absence of any way to select the region you want to render. See http://audacity.238276.n2.nabble.com/r1 ... 36169.html.

I always wondered why that was.
In that case, I presume that fixing the original problem of providing a way to "mix and render a selection", so that we can then export leading silence by default, would provide an acceptable solution?
steve
Site Admin

Next

Return to Feature Request Archive