cassette player playing too fast

For help using Audacity, please post in the Help forum relevant to your operating system.

If you require help using Audacity, please post on the forum board relevant to your operating system.
Windows
Mac OS X
GNU/Linux and Unix-like

cassette player playing too fast

Permanent link to this post Posted by saddler79 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:52 pm

Hi there

Just bought an ezcap cassette player and it is playing way too fast. The playback sounds like Mickey Mouse on some kind of illegal narcotics! I've tried a few cassettes in it now and the results are the same whether I use batteries or USB to power it. Is there anything I can do or is it a send it back job? Can I change the playback speed once it has been converted to MP3 on the PC? Running Windows 7 by the way.

thanks.
saddler79

Re: cassette player playing too fast

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:07 pm

I presume that you are talking just about playback (so nothing to do with the recording)?
If so, and if the cassette player is new you should send it back for replacement or refund under warranty.
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)
steve
Senior Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by saddler79 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:16 pm

Yes Im talking about the playback. I have tried a recording (which works) but obviously recording is also at super high speed.
saddler79

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:50 pm

It's probably that the pinch wheel is not gripping the tape properly. This would be a mechanical fault and if the device is still under warranty then it would be better to go for replacement or a refund than to attempt a repair (attempting a repair will probably invalidate the warranty).
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)
steve
Senior Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by saddler79 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:03 pm

Thanks Steve. Was an amazon buy about 4 weeks ago or so and cant remember if I bought it new or used at the moment.

Appreciate you wil have a disclaimer if anything goes wrong but do you have an attempted fix if I am out of warranty? Not the worlds most expensive piece of kit so am willing to give it a try.
saddler79

Permanent link to this post Posted by waxcylinder » Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:11 pm

Do you have an existing cassette deck? If so then my recommendation would be to get an external USB soundcard nd feed the tapedeck to that and then on into your computer. See this sticky thread: viewtopic.php?f=27&t=9477

If the EZcrap is playing way too fast it is not "fit for purpose" and you should be able to get your money back hopefully :)

WC
________________________________________FOR INSTANT HELP: (Click on Link below)
* * * * * FAQ * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Audacity Manual * * * * * Audacity Wiki * * * * *Donate * * * * *
waxcylinder
Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by saddler79 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:32 pm

thanks for the replies peeps. Attempted refund first then I will try what you have posted waxcylinder. Will let you know how I get on.
saddler79

Return to All Things Audio