Extract audio, edit(normalize), add audio back to avi

For help using Audacity, please post in the Help forum relevant to your operating system.

If you require help using Audacity, please post on the forum board relevant to your operating system.
Windows
Mac OS X
GNU/Linux and Unix-like

Extract audio, edit(normalize), add audio back to avi

Permanent link to this post Posted by hgaud » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:43 pm

Greetings!
I used a screen recording software (BB Flashback) to record a gotomeeting session but the sound from the other user (who I could clearly hear with headset) did not come through loud enough in the recording. Since that time I have found a setting in the screen recording software that does let the sound from the other user come through.

The screen software creates a raw file extension *.fbr. Then it allows you to save to AVI file.
I used AOA to extract to WAV file.

I have tried the Amplify and Normalize features. They do increase volume some but it's still faint to hear.

I am wondering if the sound is actually there yet I have not done the right setting to extract/amplify.

The attachment (7mb) is a slice of the raw uncompressed audio file exported with Audacity.
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B_VqHnMZDmwNdVJGUnlJT3RRbXc/edit

Also, how is the audio added back to the video once edited?
hgaud

Re: Extract audio, edit(normalize), add audio back to avi

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:20 pm

There is some audio (voice) there, but it is very low level and there is a lot of background sound that cannot be removed.
This is your file in OGG format (Audacity can import this) after running the "Automatic Gain Control" effect from here: viewtopic.php?p=194179#p194179
I used a "Gain Reaction Speed" of 1 second, and the filter set to "Voice".
audacity-test1.ogg
(281.63 KiB) Downloaded 52 times

hgaud wrote:Also, how is the audio added back to the video once edited?

With a video editor program.
If you are on Windows then you can probably use Windows Movie Maker (included with Windows).
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)
steve
Senior Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:23 am

We installed a non-participating computer on our network for the purpose of recording business conference calls because most capture software does what you said. It carries the local voices just fine, but not the far end.

If you press record on your cellphone or with regular software on a Skype call, you're going to get the same thing. On cellphones, it's call Personal Recorder because it records your person, not the other one.

People arrive regularly with the far voices "leaking" into the sound instead of being an active participant. That's intentional.

Recording the far end, also known as "wiretapping," is a sticky business.

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by Trebor » Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:11 am

hgaud wrote:I have tried the Amplify and Normalize features. They do increase volume some but it's still faint to hear.
I am wondering if the sound is actually there yet I have not done the right setting to extract/amplify.

Could try repeatedly (5-6x) applying Steve's limiter set on -10db, hold 50ms, make-up gain 1 ...

,,, so here we are looking.mp3
(581.22 KiB) Downloaded 88 times

However most of what the other person says is incomprehensible, (the three stooges on the TV are clearer :¬) ...

hgaud wrote:Also, how is the audio added back to the video once edited?

Fran Guidry has a Youtube tutorial about extracting the audio from a video, modifying the audio with Audacity, then replacing the original audio with the modified audio using a free video editor program (avidemux) ...

http://forum.audacityteam.org/viewtopic.php?p=198726#p198726
Trebor

Permanent link to this post Posted by hgaud » Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:23 pm

Thanks for all the quick and detailed replies.

I tried the AGC after converting the slice of .wav to .ogg. There was some improvement.

I took same .wav slice and applied Limiter x6. Vast improvement! Yes still back ground noisy, but the sound of the faint voice is now loud enough to hear, so that along with the video you can comprehend what is being said.

Question: The original AVI file is 175mb. The extracted WAV is 776mb. Do I need to extract the original audio out to OGG and then apply Limiter? Or can I just apply Limiter to the WAV file so many times?
hgaud

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:54 pm

You don't need to convert to OGG. I just converted to OGG so that the download would be smaller for everyone. Work directly on the WAV file.
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)
steve
Senior Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by Trebor » Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:06 pm

hgaud wrote:I took same .wav slice and applied Limiter x6. Vast improvement! Yes still back ground noisy, but the sound of the faint voice is now loud enough to hear

Inevitably using a limiter with make-up gain is going to raise the noise floor : you can apply Audacity's noise reduction to cut the noise back a little, ( I did here )

hgaud wrote:... along with the video you can comprehend what is being said.

If the sample you posted is typical, a lot of lip-reading will be required. Apparently the other person has only been recorded via sound from your headphones being transmitted acoustically to your microphone via the headset-microphone- stalk or via air.
Trebor

Permanent link to this post Posted by hgaud » Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:32 am

Inevitably using a limiter with make-up gain is going to raise the noise floor : you can apply Audacity's noise reduction to cut the noise back a little, ( I did here )

I used the Limiter 8x. Now of course the sound floor is higher as you expected. I used the Noise Removal but that seemed to then lower the faint portion right down again.
Is there any optimum setting that I can use in the Noise Removal, other than just the wizard step, to get the fuzzy sound out?

Apparently the other person has only been recorded via sound from your headphones being transmitted acoustically to your microphone via the headset-microphone- stalk or via air.

Yes, I had the headphones on and the setting to get sound from the headphones was not selected; only PCspeakers was chosen in BB Flashback.
Attachments
removefuzzy.wav
(176.28 KiB) Downloaded 39 times
hgaud

Permanent link to this post Posted by hgaud » Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:39 pm

What tool can I use to reduce the higher quality voice? (so that when I use the Limiter to raise the low-quality voice the high-quality voice will not be so loud/higher)

I using this order: noise removal, lower higher quality voice, Limiter to raise the low-quality voice
hgaud

Permanent link to this post Posted by Trebor » Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:23 pm

hgaud wrote:What tool can I use to reduce the higher quality voice? (so that when I use the Limiter to raise the low-quality voice the high-quality voice will not be so loud/higher)

Gmulti can selectively make the high-quality voice quieter ... http://www.gvst.co.uk/gmulti.htm

original, Gmulti '300', then Gmulti 500.flac
NB: the last take has had Gmulti @ 300 then Gmulti @ 500
(1008.08 KiB) Downloaded 41 times

see next post for Gmulti presets
Last edited by Trebor on Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Trebor

Next

Return to All Things Audio