ion turntable 132638

Feedback and Reviews for Audacity 2.x

This board is ONLY for general feedback and discussion about Audacity 2.X.

If you require help, or think you have found a "bug", please post on the forum board relevant to your operating system.
Windows
Mac OS X
GNU/Linux and Unix-like

ion turntable 132638

Permanent link to this post Posted by mickthefish » Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:11 pm

the latest ION turntable model 132638 has a built in pre amp for its speakers.will i be able to use it with audacity to adjust my recording level? mikthefish. :shock: PS-the older models had no way to do this.
mickthefish

Operating System: Windows XP

Re: ion turntable 132638

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:28 pm

ION turntable model 132638

Post a link to the turntable. I couldn't find it.
will i be able to use it with audacity to adjust my recording level?

I'm guessing no. Analog connections are usually fixed even if the unit has volume controls for speaker or headphones.

If it does have headphone connections, you can get an adapter from that to your analog to USB adapter. Use the turntable headphone volume control to set level.

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Operating System: OS X 10.9 Mavericks

Permanent link to this post Posted by mickthefish » Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:18 pm

Thanks KOZ-your absolutely right it doesnt work, i got it from PC world on a trial (fit for purpose).ill still connect my old ion tape deck in line with my old ion turntable.the GAIN on the tape deck works a treat.thanks,fishy.PS-still cant understand why its always the 45" vinyls that blast into the RED though.
mickthefish

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:04 pm

45" vinyls

33-1/3 vinyl was designed for the highest possible quality for people who want to listen to opera and top quality Big Band. 45s were designed for kids to listen to Bill Haley and the Comets at maximum possible volume. RCA (designers of the format) produced 45-only players and you get maximum possible ju-ju if you still have yours.

So no it wasn't only one song at a time. They were paying attention to their audience.

I cheated. When I transferred my sister's 45s, I did it through a phono preamp with a volume control.

I had a sample of that here somewhere.....

"One Two Three O'clock, Four O'Clock Rock."

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by waxcylinder » Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:33 am

kozikowski wrote:I cheated. When I transferred my sister's 45s, I did it through a phono preamp with a volume control.[/i][/b]

Me too.

And then I carefully cleaned the recordings up with ClickRepair and Audacity tools.

When I proudly presented these cleaned versions to my son he insisted on having them as the raw unprocessed recordings - as that was how he had always heard the on our old jukebox "and that's the scratchy way they're supposed to sound" he said. :roll:

Peter
________________________________________FOR INSTANT HELP: (Click on Link below)
* * * * * FAQ * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Audacity Manual * * * * * Audacity Wiki * * * * *
waxcylinder
Forum Staff

Operating System: Windows 10

Permanent link to this post Posted by mickthefish » Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:09 am

interesting stuff....i still buy & convert old 45" vinyls providing there playable because the re-issues may have no clicks & pops but there just not the genuine real deal.try comparing Donovan's catch the wind,the CD version is atrocious(the background choir is missing for a start.i'm off to the charity shops now.thanks fishy.PS-Peters dead right :D
mickthefish

Permanent link to this post Posted by cyrano » Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:50 am

mickthefish wrote:PS-still cant understand why its always the 45" vinyls that blast into the RED though.

The cutting speed is higher, so you get a higher output from the cartridge...

I found some classical music on 45 rpm in single format. And some on EP, 33 rpm. Never saw that before :shock:
cyrano

Permanent link to this post Posted by mickthefish » Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:27 pm

Cyrano says-I found some classical music on 45 rpm in single format. And some on EP, 33 rpm. Never saw that before.

Neither have I,I'll dive into my vast collection of vinyls & get back to you...fishy. :?
mickthefish

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:29 pm

cyrano wrote:
mickthefish wrote:PS-still cant understand why its always the 45" vinyls that blast into the RED though.

The cutting speed is higher, so you get a higher output from the cartridge...

Because of the larger diameter and lower rotational speed of LPs compared to 7" singles, the tangential track speed is roughly the same for both format (in the region of 36 cm per second of 7" singles and 44 cm per second for 12" LPs).

The actual "cutting speed" during the manufacturing process depends on the cutting lathe, cutting head, and how they are set up. More modern equipment can handle higher cutting speeds, which is largely due to improved materials, better cooling of the head, and greater frequency bandwidth. Typically a reasonably modern lathe will cut at around 40 cm per second (1x play speed). Early LPs were often cut at 'half speed' to accommodate better high frequency performance with the limitations of the technology available at that time.

More significantly, LPs have narrower tracks, and each turn of the spiral is closer to its neighbours than on 45 singles. The narrower spacing means that the amount of 'wiggle' in the track has to be less so as to avoid excessive bleed through from / to adjacent grooves which would otherwise cause pre and post echoes.

12" singles have much more space to play with, which allow for significantly higher amplitudes (more wiggle) to be recorded, and accounts for why some "DJ" 12" singles are exceptionally loud.
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)
steve
Site Admin

Operating System: Linux *buntu

Return to Audacity 2.x Feedback and Reviews