.m4a error import message even with ffmpeg library

Feedback and Reviews for Audacity 2.x

This board is ONLY for general feedback and discussion about Audacity 2.X.

If you require help, or think you have found a "bug", please post on the forum board relevant to your operating system.
Windows
Mac OS X
GNU/Linux and Unix-like

.m4a error import message even with ffmpeg library

Permanent link to this post Posted by Vocatrash » Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:07 pm

This issue happened about a few days ago. Prior to, .m4a import was working just fine.
Ive already reinstalled every possible thing needed to import .m4a files, including: The most recent edition of audacity (by .zip installation) and the ffmpeg (version 2.2.2) library (both .exe and .zip. Currently using the zip version however).
However even when locating the avformat-55.dll file, I still get an import error massage saying that audacity cannot import because the file because it is an advanced audio coding file.
I downloaded the ffmpeg library from the recommended link the audacity wikia provides.
The location audacity gives me is F(55.33.100),C(55,52.102),U(52.66.100)
The log I get when I import the .m4a file is:
16:02:48: Audacity 2.1.3
Log Cleared.
16:02:59: File name is C:\Users\XXXXXXXX\Desktop\Travel beyond the moon offvocal.M4A
16:02:59: Mime type is *
16:02:59: Opening with libav
16:02:59: Error: FFmpeg : av_open_input_file() failed for file C:\Users\hatondra\Desktop\Travel beyond the moon offvocal.M4A
16:02:59: Opening with libsndfile
16:02:59: Opening with liboggvorbis
16:02:59: Opening with libflac
16:02:59: Opening with libmad
16:02:59: Open(C:\Users\XXXXXXXX\Desktop\Travel beyond the moon offvocal.M4A) succeeded
16:02:59: Opening with lof
16:02:59: Opening with libsndfile
16:02:59: Opening with libav
16:02:59: Error: FFmpeg : av_open_input_file() failed for file C:\Users\hatondra\Desktop\Travel beyond the moon offvocal.M4A
16:02:59: Opening with libmad
16:02:59: Open(C:\Users\XXXXXXXX\Desktop\Travel beyond the moon offvocal.M4A) succeeded
16:02:59: Opening with liboggvorbis
16:02:59: Opening with libflac
16:02:59: Opening with lof
16:02:59: Error: Importer::Import: Opening failed.

Tl'dr: Im getting an import error when importing .m4a files even though I have everything audacity needs to import them
Notes:
XXXXXXXX is supposed to be my name. I do not think it is necessary to fix the problem.
I am using a Beats HP Laptop with Windows 10.
Vocatrash

Operating System: Windows 10

Re: .m4a error import message even with ffmpeg library

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:33 am

it is an advanced audio coding file.

AAC? Did you get it from a Mac?
Prior to, .m4a import was working just fine.

Maybe you should back out a little. Where are the files coming from and what's your job?

Do you have Windows showing you file extensions? Is it MyMusic.aac or MyMusic.m4a?

Are any of the files available for us to see?

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Operating System: OS X 10.9 Mavericks

Re: .m4a error import message even with ffmpeg library

Permanent link to this post Posted by Vocatrash » Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:08 pm

The file I received did indeed come from a mac. However, I have gotten similar audio files from the same source before and they imported just fine till now.
The file extension clearly shows .m4a
The files are coming from online download. Specifically, the files are produced from an acquaintance recording an instrumental through their tv presumably.
The file name is: Travel beyond the moon offvocal.m4a and the file extension has never been AAC.
My job during this issue was cover artist.
When you mean available to see, do you want mean you want to see the original download link or do you want me to upload the audio I am having an issue importing?
Vocatrash

Operating System: Windows 10

Return to Audacity 2.x Feedback and Reviews