Option to "Save Copy of Project As"

Feedback and Reviews for Audacity 2.x

This board is ONLY for general feedback and discussion about Audacity 2.X.

If you require help, or think you have found a "bug", please post on the forum board relevant to your operating system.
Windows
Mac OS X
GNU/Linux and Unix-like

Option to "Save Copy of Project As"

Permanent link to this post Posted by Maha1 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:44 pm

I have worked with some programs that allows you to "Save A Copy As" as a backup file, without renaming the one that you are working with. If I am incorrect about the following comments please let me know.

When I am working with a file in Audacity, I choose the option "Save Project As" as a file I want to save premastering as a backup in a file that I use to backup chapters before mastering. Correct me if I am wrong, but I would have to close out the screen, and go back to the original file I was working with to continue on to leave the backup file in the new file location as it is, with no further changes. If I use the "Save Project As" it would rename the file I have as the backup one, and if I did anymore edits on the file that was opened and "Saved As" it would make changes to my backup.

It is the most confusing part of this whole thing. I think that it would be great to have the option "Save Copy of Project As" to give the option of saving a copy as the file stands, but continue on in the original file instead of closing out and reopening the original. If I am totally wrong about this let me know. I am a fairly new user :geek:

I really hope I am clear. :?
Maha1

Operating System: Windows 10

Re: Option to "Save Copy of Project As"

Permanent link to this post Posted by waxcylinder » Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:11 pm

+1 for this idea

WC
________________________________________FOR INSTANT HELP: (Click on Link below)
* * * * * FAQ * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Audacity Manual * * * * * Audacity Wiki * * * * *
waxcylinder
Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:40 pm

Maha1 wrote:I think that it would be great to have the option "Save Copy of Project As" to give the option of saving a copy as the file stands, but continue on in the original file

The open source graphics application "Gimp" does that, and it's very useful:

gimp.png
gimp.png (65.01 KiB) Viewed 464 times
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)
steve
Site Admin

Operating System: Linux *buntu

Permanent link to this post Posted by Maha1 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:19 am

I have the option "Save Compressed Copy of Project", not the one that you have. (I am running Windows 10). When I chose that is states "Compressed Project files are a good way to transmit your project online, but they have some loss of fidelity". I don't want any loss. I do audiobooks and can't afford any.
Maha1

Permanent link to this post Posted by Maha1 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:23 am

If you look at this page, it's how my File Menu is:

http://manual.audacityteam.org/man/file_menu.html
Maha1

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:12 am

Maha1 wrote:I have the option "Save Compressed Copy of Project", not the one that you have. (I am running Windows 10). When I chose that is states "Compressed Project files are a good way to transmit your project online, but they have some loss of fidelity". I don't want any loss. I do audiobooks and can't afford any.

Yes, we understand that you want an additional item.
The image that I posted is the File menu in Gimp (an open source image editor), not Audacity. I posted it to show that the concept that you described is used in some other applications.
steve
Site Admin

Permanent link to this post Posted by Maha1 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:32 am

Whoops....I'm tired. Sorry :oops:
Maha1

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:44 am

No problem ;) Thanks for the suggestion.
There is no guarantee that it will be implemented (that largely depends on whether one of the developers likes the idea enough to implement it), but in due course it will be logged on the Audacity wiki as a suggested feature for implementation.
steve
Site Admin

Permanent link to this post Posted by Maha1 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:48 pm

Thanks. My file system for my narration is a mess. I try and keep a file specifically after I record, pre-mastering, so that if there is a problem I can record and insert corrected or omitted parts, then do noise reduction on the complete clip for consistency. I think that option would make it so much better.
Maha1

Permanent link to this post Posted by waxcylinder » Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:31 pm

steve wrote:
Maha1 wrote:I have the option "Save Compressed Copy of Project", not the one that you have. (I am running Windows 10). When I chose that is states "Compressed Project files are a good way to transmit your project online, but they have some loss of fidelity". I don't want any loss. I do audiobooks and can't afford any.

Yes, we understand that you want an additional item.

I don't.

When I voted +1, I was voting for a re-purposing for Save As to save a copy of the project, not open it but keep the current project open under its existing project name.

This way the user continues to work on the project they were/are working on but a backup or staging-post copy is created.

WC
________________________________________FOR INSTANT HELP: (Click on Link below)
* * * * * FAQ * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Audacity Manual * * * * * Audacity Wiki * * * * *
waxcylinder
Forum Staff

Next

Return to Audacity 2.x Feedback and Reviews