Expanded scales for gain and pan stopped working

Feedback and Reviews for Audacity 2.x

This board is ONLY for general feedback and discussion about Audacity 2.X.

If you require help, or think you have found a "bug", please post on the forum board relevant to your operating system.
Windows
Mac OS X
GNU/Linux and Unix-like

Expanded scales for gain and pan stopped working

Permanent link to this post Posted by DickN » Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:14 pm

Audacity 2.2.0 nightly builds dated June 16 - July 9 2017.

Clicking on the scale of Gain or Pan control does not move the pointer, nor does clicking on the expanded scale which appears upon double-clicking the control. Entering a value in the entry box does not move the pointer. I can drag the pointer on the expanded scale, but clicking OK doesn't copy it to the control. Dragging the pointer on the control itself still works, but somehow (I'll see if I can reproduce it), while exercising this bug, I managed to get both controls to freeze (I'm pretty sure it happened to both gain and pan simultaneously) - I couldn't even drag the pointers. It affected only one track - I could still drag the pointers on the other tracks.

There's no change in the sound but the Save Project dialog appears when exiting if I've attempted to change either setting unsuccessfully.

- DickN
DickN

Operating System: Windows Vista

Re: Expanded scales for gain and pan stopped working

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:08 pm

I'll move this topic to the "feedback" board as it is a cross-platform issue with the current alpha code.

This is what I see on Linux. Please comment on whether you see the same on Windows:
    • Audacity 2.1.3:
      Clicking on the track Gain or Pan slider to the right or left of the current position will set the gain / pan to the position clicked
    • Audacity 2.2.0 alpha:
      Clicking on the track Gain or Pan slider to the right or left of the current position does nothing.
    • Audacity 2.1.3:
      When opening the track Gain / Pan dialog (double click on the track Gain/Pan slider), clicking to the left or right of the current position will set the gain/pan to the position clicked.
      On clicking the OK button, the dialog closes and the track slider moves to the position that was set in the dialog.
    • Audacity 2.2.0 alpha:
      When opening the track Gain / Pan dialog, clicking to the left or right of the current position will set the gain/pan to the position clicked.
      On clicking the OK button, the dialog closes but the track slider is not updated
    • Audacity 2.1.3:
      Typing a value between +/-36 in the text control of the Gain dialog, or between +/- 1 in the text control of the Pan dialog, and then clicking OK, or pressing Enter, closes the dialog and updates the track Gain / Pan slider.
    • Audacity 2.2.0 alpha:
      Typing a valid value in the text control of the Gain / Pan dialog and then clicking OK, or pressing Enter, closes the dialog but does not update the track Gain / Pan slider.
    • Audacity 2.1.3:
      Opening the track Gain / Pan dialog, and dragging the slider updates the text value in the dialog (but not in the track). On clicking OK, or pressing Enter, the dialog closes and the track Gain / Pan slider is updated
    • Audacity 2.2.0 alpha:
      Opening the track Gain / Pan dialog, and dragging the slider updates the text value in the dialog (but not in the track). On clicking OK, or pressing Enter, the dialog closes but the track Gain / Pan slider is not updated
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)
steve
Site Admin

Operating System: Linux *buntu

Permanent link to this post Posted by DickN » Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:00 pm

• steve wrote:
    • Audacity 2.1.3:
      Clicking on the track Gain or Pan slider to the right or left of the current position will set the gain / pan to the position clicked

• Audacity 2.2.0 alpha:
      Clicking on the track Gain or Pan slider to the right or left of the current position does nothing.

• On Windows Vista SP2:
    • Audacity 2.1.3: Same as LInux.
    • Audacity 2.2.0 alpha Jun 15 2017: Same as 2.1.3 on Linux.
    • Audacity 2.2.0 alpha Jul 9 2017: Same as LInux (does nothing).
    • steve wrote:
    • Audacity 2.1.3:
      When opening the track Gain / Pan dialog (double click on the track Gain/Pan slider), clicking to the left or right of the current position will set the gain/pan to the position clicked.
      On clicking the OK button, the dialog closes and the track slider moves to the position that was set in the dialog.

• Audacity 2.2.0 alpha:
      When opening the track Gain / Pan dialog, clicking to the left or right of the current position will set the gain/pan to the position clicked.
      On clicking the OK button, the dialog closes but the track slider is not updated

• On Windows Vista SP2:
    • Audacity 2.2.0 alpha Jul 9 2017: Same as LInux.
    • steve wrote:
    • Audacity 2.1.3:
      Typing a value between +/-36 in the text control of the Gain dialog, or between +/- 1 in the text control of the Pan dialog, and then clicking OK, or pressing Enter, closes the dialog and updates the track Gain / Pan slider.

• Audacity 2.2.0 alpha:
      Typing a valid value in the text control of the Gain / Pan dialog and then clicking OK, or pressing Enter, closes the dialog but does not update the track Gain / Pan slider.

• On Windows Vista SP2:
    • steve wrote:
    • Audacity 2.1.3:
      Opening the track Gain / Pan dialog, and dragging the slider updates the text value in the dialog (but not in the track). On clicking OK, or pressing Enter, the dialog closes and the track Gain / Pan slider is updated

• Audacity 2.2.0 alpha:
      Opening the track Gain / Pan dialog, and dragging the slider updates the text value in the dialog (but not in the track). On clicking OK, or pressing Enter, the dialog closes but the track Gain / Pan slider is not updated

• On Windows Vista SP2:

Sorry, never did get the quotes to format like the original.

- DickN
Last edited by DickN on Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DickN

Permanent link to this post Posted by waxcylinder » Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:20 pm

DickN wrote:OS: Vista SP2
Audacity 2.2.0 nightly builds dated June 16 - July 9 2017.

Clicking on the scale of Gain or Pan control does not move the pointer, nor does clicking on the expanded scale which appears upon double-clicking the control.

The expanded scale works for me in recent alpha nightlies - the Track Control Panel Pan/Gain scale issue is a known issue.

WC
________________________________________FOR INSTANT HELP: (Click on Link below)
* * * * * FAQ * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Audacity Manual * * * * * Audacity Wiki * * * * *
waxcylinder
Forum Staff

Operating System: Windows 10

Permanent link to this post Posted by DickN » Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:21 pm

OK, Waxcylinder, I just edited my last post from "Windows" to "Windows Vista SP2".

I'll repeat the tests on Windows 7 also.

- DickN
DickN

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:50 pm

A fix was added earlier today.
I now see the same behaviour in 2.2.0 as in 2.1.3 (tested on the same Xubuntu Linux machine as previous tests).
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)
steve
Site Admin

Operating System: Linux *buntu

Permanent link to this post Posted by DickN » Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:00 am

Just tested the Jul 9 and Jul 11 builds on Windows 7.

Vista and Windows 7 give identical results (at least for these tests), and the bug is gone in the July 11 build.

I note the "July 11" build has "12-Jul" in the zip and sha names (It's still July 11 where I am).

- DickN
DickN

Permanent link to this post Posted by Gale Andrews » Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:15 am

DickN wrote:I note the "July 11" build has "12-Jul" in the zip and sha names (It's still July 11 where I am).
The file is named by upload date. It was uploaded 1 second into July 12th (my time).

Gale
________________________________________FOR INSTANT HELP: (Click on Link below)
* * * * * Tips * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Quick Start Guide * * * * * Audacity Manual
Gale Andrews
Quality Assurance

Operating System: Windows 10

Return to Audacity 2.x Feedback and Reviews