Malicious software connected to download

Feedback and Reviews for Audacity 2.x

This board is ONLY for general feedback and discussion about Audacity 2.X.

If you require help, or think you have found a "bug", please post on the forum board relevant to your operating system.
Windows
Mac OS X
GNU/Linux and Unix-like

Malicious software connected to download

Permanent link to this post Posted by Vstar1020 » Sat Jun 10, 2017 11:19 pm

I just downloaded the Audacity Software and it seems that someone has attached a URL hack that causes the Audacity Page to jump to something about testing one's intelligence. I thought I would pop in and let someone know so you can check your downloaders to ensure they are clean. I downloaded it to a Windows 10 pc. I am also now wondering if the download is safe from other infections. My antivirus has not sounded an alarm yet, but I just thought those running the Audacity site and downloaders should now take some time to ensure they are clean.

Thanks
Vstar1020

Operating System: Windows 10

Re: Malicious software connected to download

Permanent link to this post Posted by Gale Andrews » Sun Jun 11, 2017 12:41 pm

Thanks for your report. I told Buanzo (our systems admin) but there are no other reports so it is most likely an infection on your computer. I suggest a deep overnight clean.

See also http://www.audacityteam.org/download/online-safety-when-downloading/ for how to test your download matches our official checksum for the file, and how to run a multiple-anti-virus check on your file.

Gale
________________________________________FOR INSTANT HELP: (Click on Link below)
* * * * * Tips * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Quick Start Guide * * * * * Audacity Manual
Gale Andrews
Quality Assurance

Operating System: Windows 10

Return to Audacity 2.x Feedback and Reviews