Ctrl-[ and Ctrl-] collapse select region

Feedback and Reviews for Audacity 2.x

This board is ONLY for general feedback and discussion about Audacity 2.X.

If you require help, or think you have found a "bug", please post on the forum board relevant to your operating system.
Windows
Mac OS X
GNU/Linux and Unix-like

Re: Ctrl-[ and Ctrl-] collapse select region

Permanent link to this post Posted by DickN » Mon May 15, 2017 3:50 pm

Gale Andrews wrote:.... Note that by default (when "Select... entire project" autoselection is on) these commands would not do nothing but select all and so destroy the cursor position.
Gale
This reminds me of a "gotcha" that I encounter frequently. I have Tracks->Track Behaviors->Select then act on... unchecked. Part of my routine involves copying labels from one label track to another in preparation for exporting different portions of a recording for CD and podcast. If I have no track selected except possibly the label track from which I'm about to copy the label, and I select a label by clicking on its text box, the region gets selected in every track. Then I have to deselect them individually or by Ctrl-Shift-a, select another track (e.g., the one I'm going to copy to), select the label again, deselect the newly selected track so I can copy, etc. Is there a reason why having the label track containing the label I'm clicking on selected shouldn't prevent the click from selecting all tracks?

- DickN
DickN

Operating System: Windows Vista

Re: Ctrl-[ and Ctrl-] collapse select region

Permanent link to this post Posted by Gale Andrews » Mon May 15, 2017 4:20 pm

There are good reasons why clicking in the label should select all the tracks.

I don't fully know your workflow, but you could navigate into the label you want to copy by keyboard, which doesn't change track selectedness. You can move focus to the required label track with Up or Down arrow then TAB, or use ALT + Left or ALT + Right, which only requires that the focus is below the label track you want to paste into.

Gale

DickN wrote:
Gale Andrews wrote:.... Note that by default (when "Select... entire project" autoselection is on) these commands would not do nothing but select all and so destroy the cursor position.
Gale
This reminds me of a "gotcha" that I encounter frequently. I have Tracks->Track Behaviors->Select then act on... unchecked. Part of my routine involves copying labels from one label track to another in preparation for exporting different portions of a recording for CD and podcast. If I have no track selected except possibly the label track from which I'm about to copy the label, and I select a label by clicking on its text box, the region gets selected in every track. Then I have to deselect them individually or by Ctrl-Shift-a, select another track (e.g., the one I'm going to copy to), select the label again, deselect the newly selected track so I can copy, etc. Is there a reason why having the label track containing the label I'm clicking on selected shouldn't prevent the click from selecting all tracks?

- DickN
________________________________________FOR INSTANT HELP: (Click on Link below)
* * * * * Tips * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Quick Start Guide * * * * * Audacity Manual
Gale Andrews
Quality Assurance

Operating System: Windows 10

Previous

Return to Audacity 2.x Feedback and Reviews