swap out "Change tempo" for something better

Feedback and Reviews for Audacity 2.x

This board is ONLY for general feedback and discussion about Audacity 2.X.

If you require help, or think you have found a "bug", please post on the forum board relevant to your operating system.
Windows
Mac OS X
GNU/Linux and Unix-like

swap out "Change tempo" for something better

Permanent link to this post Posted by swaan » Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:38 am

Hello,

Been a happy Audacity user for over 10 years on OSX and Windows but one thing that has really bothered me is that the Change tempo tool, something that I could understand for 0.X versions and perhaps 1.0 too, I cannot comprehend why this is still shipping with 2.X versions - the quality is horrible. I am talking about 4% tempo changes on RAW audio that have artifacts that even children pick up. For the very least, can't we just use the "Sliding Time Scale/Pitch Shift" algorithm underneath and keep the Change Tempo UI?
swaan

Operating System: Please select

Re: swap out "Change tempo" for something better

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:42 am

Get the current version of Audacity 2.1.3 from here: http://www.audacityteam.org/download/

swaan wrote:can't we just use the "Sliding Time Scale/Pitch Shift" algorithm underneath and keep the Change Tempo UI?

That's exactly what I've done. To use the SBSMS algorithm, select the "High Quality" option. See here for details: http://manual.audacityteam.org/man/change_tempo.html
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)
steve
Senior Forum Staff

Operating System: Linux Debian

Permanent link to this post Posted by swaan » Thu May 11, 2017 7:54 pm

Really? Oh man..all this rant for nothing? :)

I had 2.1.2 and didn't update yet because the news text didn't have anything worth downloading for me. Yes I read it now in the wiki - its quite a big update!

This is exactly what I wanted!

Hilarious! :lol: Thanks!!!

However I think now is a great time to mention another issue I had with "Change tempo" - precision. I can't get the change accurate enough to sync multi-hour long tracks length wise (with one go). I remember it had something to do with the algorithm that you couldn't have more decimal places for the change percentage. Is it still the case with the SBSMS?
swaan

Operating System: Please select

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Thu May 11, 2017 9:52 pm

If +/- 0.0005% isn't accurate enough for you with the HQ setting in Change Tempo, get it as accurate as possible, then tweak the length using "Change Speed" to get the length exact.
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)
steve
Senior Forum Staff

Operating System: Linux Debian

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Fri May 12, 2017 1:55 pm

If you are synchronizing tracks produced on different machines, you should be using Change Speed anyway. Minor differences in sampling rates show up as show length shifts when you aggregate them on one machine.

The recommended process of producing very high quality local copies of voices and music for multi-point podcasts produces this effect.

"For some reason Alice's track from Schenectady is always several seconds longer than everybody else on the same show."

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Operating System: OS X 10.9 Mavericks

Return to Audacity 2.x Feedback and Reviews