Report a Bug ... v. 2.1.3

Feedback and Reviews for Audacity 2.x

This board is ONLY for general feedback and discussion about Audacity 2.X.

If you require help, or think you have found a "bug", please post on the forum board relevant to your operating system.
Windows
Mac OS X
GNU/Linux and Unix-like

Re: Report a Bug ... v. 2.1.3

Permanent link to this post Posted by Gale Andrews » Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:46 pm

Black Dog Bluez wrote:
delete the file "pluginsettings.cfg"

Thanks Gale.. but..
I did this and still the same problem -and I don't have doubles in the effects project menu.

Perhaps Audacity was still running when you deleted pluginsettings.cfg.

Black Dog Bluez wrote:And now noticed the Bass/Treble effect did not work right v213 - one of the channels did not finish at zero decibels when set to finish there, the left did good but the right red-lined out a considerable amount.

In Bass and Treble in 2.1.3 the "Volume (dB)" control is a gain control that modifies the output produced by the Bass and Treble settings. It is not a normalization control that sets the output level, as the "Level (dB)" control was in 2.1.2. I did say to Steve that some people could trip up on this, but he did not want to call the control "Gain". I think you can get used to it if you real-time preview.

See http://manual.audacityteam.org/man/bass_and_treble.html.

Gale
________________________________________FOR INSTANT HELP: (Click on Link below)
* * * * * Tips * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Quick Start Guide * * * * * Audacity Manual
Gale Andrews
Quality Assurance

Operating System: Windows 10

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:24 pm

Black Dog Bluez wrote:And now noticed the Bass/Treble effect did not work right v213 - one of the channels did not finish at zero decibels when set to finish there, the left did good but the right red-lined out a considerable amount.

In earlier versions of Audacity, the "Bass and Treble" effect was a "two pass" effect. First it would apply filtering (boost / cut to bass / treble frequencies), then it would normalize the output level. Of course, as a two pass effect it was not possible for the effect to work in real-time because the level after applying filtering is unknown, so it is not possible to know how much amplification is required to normalize the output.

The BIG benefit of real-time preview is that you can hear exactly what the output will be like while you adjust the settings.
You can also see on Audacity's playback meters what level the output will be.

The new Bass and Treble effect is a "real-time preview" effect, which allows you to adjust the settings while playing the track and listening to the results. The three slider controls work very much like the familiar Bass, Treble, and Volume controls on a hi-fi amp. The Bass slider adjusts the amount of bass, the treble slider adjusts the amount of treble, and the Volume slider adjust the overall volume.
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)
steve
Senior Forum Staff

Operating System: Linux Debian

Permanent link to this post Posted by Black Dog Bluez » Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:17 am

Thanks (all), will restart computer before doing the ..plugin..settings thing delete ASAP/..will report back ASAP.

And OK great the Bass/Treble is real time and the volume is more an output type volume, okay will try that accordingly next time. Thanks.

What happened to our Italian connection? ...

Ronald Newman
http://www.SoundClick.com/RonaldNewman
Black Dog Bluez

Operating System: Windows 7

Permanent link to this post Posted by Black Dog Bluez » Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:14 am

Still the same warnings for declick and de-ess (others? I don't think but will make sure asap), I deleted these plugins (which I added, and were not originally w/Audacity) then reinstalled and will see on next use/start-up and let you know ASAP.

Also the Bass/Treble effect is great now knowing how to best utilize it.. thanks, thanks.
Black Dog Bluez

Permanent link to this post Posted by Black Dog Bluez » Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:12 am

The De-Ess, De-Click, and Wavestats plugins still do this upon restart or new project. I also have the Spitfish de-esser which does not do the aforementioned problem. Otherwise all seemingly good so far. Remember I use a Windows 7 PC (HP Presario 64 bit) rolled back to factory per editing, which I don't ever use online. --- Too many creeps. - Thanks all.
Black Dog Bluez

Permanent link to this post Posted by Gale Andrews » Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:56 am

Black Dog Bluez wrote:The De-Ess, De-Click, and Wavestats plugins still do this upon restart or new project. I also have the Spitfish de-esser which does not do the aforementioned problem.

The De-Esser doesn't even have any user accessible settings, unless you have edited the file itself.

Exit Audacity, add a folder called "Portable Settings" (without the quotes) in the folder where Audacity is installed.

Launch Audacity. Add the problem plugins into the "Plug-Ins" folder in Portable Settings, then Add/Remove Plug-ins and enable only the versions of the problem plug-ins that are in "Portable Settings/Plug-Ins".

Do you still get errors?

Don't worry it is just a test. Delete or rename "Portable Settings" then when Audacity restarts it will go back to the settings it was using before.

Gale
* * * * * Tips * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Quick Start Guide * * * * * Audacity Manual
Gale Andrews
Quality Assurance

Permanent link to this post Posted by Black Dog Bluez » Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:09 am

Thank you but..

Exit Audacity, add a folder called "Portable Settings" (without the quotes) in the folder where Audacity is installed.

I did this in the folder where Audacity is installed, not in the Audacity folder but in "Program Files (x86)", where Audacity is installed. I tried in the Audacity folder but then Audacity would not start. I also tried in Audacity's Plug-Ins' folder --- all to no avail.

Launch Audacity. Add the problem plugins into the "Plug-Ins" folder in Portable Settings, then Add/Remove Plug-ins and enable only the versions of the problem plug-ins that are in "Portable Settings/Plug-Ins".

Either, I did not do as you intended because I am not clear on your instructions.. or this just did not help. The good news is - this is a minor inconvenience more than a problem. And of course it could be a computer problem separate from Audacity.
Black Dog Bluez

Permanent link to this post Posted by Gale Andrews » Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:38 pm

Black Dog Bluez wrote:Thank you but..

I did this in the folder where Audacity is installed, not in the Audacity folder but in "Program Files (x86)", where Audacity is installed. I tried in the Audacity folder but then Audacity would not start. I also tried in Audacity's Plug-Ins' folder --- all to no avail.

If Audacity is installed in Program Files (x86)\Audacity, then add the "Portable Settings" folder in Program Files (x86)\Audacity.

Black Dog Bluez wrote:

Either, I did not do as you intended because I am not clear on your instructions.. or this just did not help.

What language are you running the computer in and what language are you running Audacity in?

Have you hand-modified the plug-ins? If so it may be better to go back and download fresh copies.

Gale
Gale Andrews
Quality Assurance

Permanent link to this post Posted by Black Dog Bluez » Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:05 am

My Audacity is installed in Program Files (x86)\Audacity, and when I add the "Portable Settings" folder in Program Files (x86)\Audacity --- Audacity will not open.

Also, I have not done anything to Audacity or any plugins other than use them in a normal capacity. So I assume they have no reason to be corrupted in any way ... Unless other programs somehow have somehow.. I occasionally will try some freeware program here and there.

The main differing factor to me is v213 vs. v212 ... and from there I would conclude something needs updating. Preferably the problem plugins and not my operating system which to remind you is Windows 7 rolled back to factory with no updates.

Also, there is the fact that Audacity won't open with the aforementioned folder added..

Again, overall, Audacity is much appreciated and no doubt regardless, is still getting better. Thanks Gale, and all.

Also, these are the main problems always (wavestats only occasionally):
"DeClicker.ny" and "DeEsser.ny" which I deleted and recopied in from my backup copies. Though unfortunately this did not help.

Also, to repeat, the only problem is an error message which after I click "OK" (on the error message) the plugin resumes as normal.

The language I use is "English", always, for everything.
Black Dog Bluez

Permanent link to this post Posted by Gale Andrews » Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:05 pm

Black Dog Bluez wrote:My Audacity is installed in Program Files (x86)\Audacity, and when I add the "Portable Settings" folder in Program Files (x86)\Audacity --- Audacity will not open.

It was a just a test. If you exit Audacity, add an empty "Portable Settings" folder (without the quotes) to Program Files (x86)\Audacity, then launch Audacity, it should write new configuration files to that "Portable Settings" folder.

Might you have read- or write-protected that folder or not have correct permissions on it when you run Audacity? To test permissions, try right-click over Audacity and running it as administrator.

I agree Audacity isn't smart enough to switch to AppData/Roaming if it can't read or write "Portable Settings".

Black Dog Bluez wrote:The main differing factor to me is v213 vs. v212 ... and from there I would conclude something needs updating. Preferably the problem plugins and not my operating system which to remind you is Windows 7 rolled back to factory with no updates.

You could redownload the offending plugins from their web pages.

Gale
Gale Andrews
Quality Assurance

PreviousNext

Return to Audacity 2.x Feedback and Reviews