Is Audacity a "He" or a "She"?

Feedback and Reviews for Audacity 2.x

This board is ONLY for general feedback and discussion about Audacity 2.X.

If you require help, or think you have found a "bug", please post on the forum board relevant to your operating system.
Windows
Mac OS X
GNU/Linux and Unix-like

Is Audacity a "He" or a "She"?

Permanent link to this post Posted by Hussam Eddin » Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:13 am

Hi, I'm translating Audacity to Arabic, and I want to know if Audacity is treated as a male or a female because it makes a difference in verbs in Arabic.
Hussam Eddin

Operating System: Windows 10

Re: Is Audacity a "He" or a "She"?

Permanent link to this post Posted by Gale Andrews » Sun Jan 15, 2017 1:46 pm

Hussam Eddin wrote:Hi, I'm translating Audacity to Arabic

Please see http://www.audacityteam.org/community/translators/. Have you joined the audacity-translation mailing list? That is the only way we can publish your update.

Hussam Eddin wrote:I want to know if Audacity is treated as a male or a female because it makes a difference in verbs in Arabic.

It doesn't apply. Translate as you would for any other organisation, such as Apple or Microsoft.

Gale
________________________________________FOR INSTANT HELP: (Click on Link below)
* * * * * Tips * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Quick Start Guide * * * * * Audacity Manual
Gale Andrews
Quality Assurance

Operating System: Windows 10

Re: Is Audacity a "He" or a "She"?

Permanent link to this post Posted by Robert J. H. » Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:34 am

Just for completeness sake:
"Audacity" is a Latin word. And all those with ending -ity are feminine, identity authority (perhaps even pity, if it originates from "pietates") and so on. See French, Italian and even German.
Nonetheless, in this case it is a English word and as such neutral, especially since it is an allusion and implies "audio".
Very rarely, abstract words are personified but only in art and poetry, e.g lady "liberty" in a painting by Delacroix
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liberty_L ... the_People

Robert
Robert J. H.

Operating System: Windows 7

Return to Audacity 2.x Feedback and Reviews