Alternative download location

Feedback and Reviews for Audacity 2.x

This board is ONLY for general feedback and discussion about Audacity 2.X.

If you require help, or think you have found a "bug", please post on the forum board relevant to your operating system.
Windows
Mac OS X
GNU/Linux and Unix-like

Re: Alternative download location

Permanent link to this post Posted by ferventcoder » Fri Dec 02, 2016 5:48 pm

As I pointed out, it is not a manual and painful process You can do it with GUI apps, even though it is not Linux style package management. Such apps will be far more comfortable for many Windows users than PowerShell and CLI.

Chocolatey has a GUI as well. But you are right, most windows users don't understand the pain or are so dull to it because that is what they have always seen.

Now imagine running one script to keep all of your software up to date. So every morning when you start using your machine you have the latest software automatically. That's really setting up a file that runs some commands and maybe task scheduler.

You can say there is no pain, but how long does it take for you to ensure that maybe 10 apps are up to date? 50? 200? What if you never needed to do that again freeing you up to worry about more important things? Just because you may not feel the pain does not mean it is not there.
ferventcoder

Operating System: Windows 7

Permanent link to this post Posted by ferventcoder » Fri Dec 02, 2016 5:55 pm

So if there are internal packages, how do you obtain and install those and how do they differ from community packages? Are there fewer of them? Is there already one for Audacity?

Unknown on all accounts. Here's the thing about an organization that decides to use Chocolatey, create and maintain their own internal packages for both internal software and 3rd party software such as Audacity. It's all done privately, and only that company has access to that. I don't.

Consider for a moment that organizations using Audacity may actually pre-download your software and stick it on an internal file share somewhere within that company. Completely legit. And they could gather updates that way as well. No issues.

But the question you are asking me is similar to me asking you "If there is internally downloaded Audacity software, how does Audacity know when that is occurring?"

I know we have a lot of documentation, but you must understand Chocolatey is a framework.
ferventcoder

Permanent link to this post Posted by Gale Andrews » Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:03 pm

ferventcoder wrote:we are simply looking for better options regarding FossHub's policies.

If it is "simply" that then you must discuss that with FossHub. As you may know FossHub was attacked in the recent past, and the Audacity Windows installer was compromised for a very short period. I expect there are both security and income protection reasons for any difficulties you are experiencing. We largely have to go along with FossHub's decisions on those matters as they are the experts in running their site.

Certain other download mirrors of Audacity write to us after each release that they have updated to the new version of Audacity. They don't report any difficulties to us.

What are you downloading from FossHub - the source tarball?

Gale
________________________________________FOR INSTANT HELP: (Click on Link below)
* * * * * Tips * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Quick Start Guide * * * * * Audacity Manual
Gale Andrews
Quality Assurance

Operating System: Windows 10

Permanent link to this post Posted by Gale Andrews » Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:15 pm

ferventcoder wrote:
how long does it take for you to ensure that maybe 10 apps are up to date? 50? 200?

No personal involvement at all, if the updating GUI application supports the apps you want to update and the updating task is a scheduled task.

This isn't knocking Chocolatey. I actually asked if we might be interested in Chocalatey a while ago, and there was no direct answer about it from the others. I supposed then that Chocolatey was regarded as too peripheral, especially that the average Windows user would find it too difficult to use. Unfortunately too, I don't see Microsoft promoting Chocolatey, because they want to develop Windows Subsystem for Linux in partnership with Canonical. Unless of course you can prove me wrong about that.

Gale
* * * * * Tips * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Quick Start Guide * * * * * Audacity Manual
Gale Andrews
Quality Assurance

Permanent link to this post Posted by Gale Andrews » Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:25 pm

ferventcoder wrote:
So if there are internal packages, how do you obtain and install those and how do they differ from community packages? Are there fewer of them? Is there already one for Audacity?

Unknown on all accounts. Here's the thing about an organization that decides to use Chocolatey, create and maintain their own internal packages for both internal software and 3rd party software such as Audacity. It's all done privately, and only that company has access to that. I don't.

In that case, it seems most packages that users would use are indeed community-maintained, because there is no published list of internal packages.

And if so, your disclaimer applies the more strongly.

If you are asking for more than FossHub to facilitate you downloading Audacity, what are you asking for? That we should support and maintain a community package of Audacity that we could state was supported and so was expected to be safe for production use despite the disclaimer? Or are you asking us to make an internal package? Or are those two things the same?

Gale
Gale Andrews
Quality Assurance

Permanent link to this post Posted by FossHub » Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:01 pm

I think we have our problems to take care off and Audacity forum should be used by people looking for answers and questions about Audacity software.

But to explain a few things:

- no, we were never contacted by anyone from Chocolatey team.
- we are amazed that a service such as Chocolatey is doing this.

Since there is no point to reply to their posts, we made a public statement here: https://www.reddit.com/r/sysadmin/comme ... stop_with/

Thank you!
FossHub

Permanent link to this post Posted by ferventcoder » Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:39 pm

I'd love to have a conversation to better explain - I am sorry you think we are leeching off of your bandwidth and I can assure that is definitely NOT why we download from the official distribution location - it is 100% for legal reasons. If we can simply embed the software in the package, that makes things much simpler for us.
ferventcoder

Previous

Return to Audacity 2.x Feedback and Reviews