Audacity Light

Feedback and Reviews for Audacity 2.x

This board is ONLY for general feedback and discussion about Audacity 2.X.

If you require help, or think you have found a "bug", please post on the forum board relevant to your operating system.
Windows
Mac OS X
GNU/Linux and Unix-like

Audacity Light

Permanent link to this post Posted by SeanDuea » Sat Nov 26, 2016 6:18 pm

Has anybody abstracted out of the manual, a "light" version? All I want to do is copy my LPs, 45s and 78s to my computer as MP3 files. I don't want to fuss with them at all.
SeanDuea

Operating System: Windows 10

Re: Audacity Light

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Sat Nov 26, 2016 6:43 pm

It's been tried. Unfortunately, everybody wants a light version for their own job.

"All I want to do is read an audiobook. Isn't there an Audacity Light version for that?"

It's clear that transferring LPs and 78s is a special case and might warrant a second look, however, if you transfer your vinyl "straight" with no other work, you're the only one.

"How do I get rid of those clicks and pops on my vinyl."

"My turntable doesn't have a 78, how do I transfer my records?"

"My 78s are super noisy. Is there something wrong with my turntable?"

"Can you cure turntable wowing and flutter?"

"What's the proper equalization for an older Decca 78?"

...and etc. etc. etc. Transferring records turns out to be one of the more complex things you an do.

http://manual.audacityteam.org/man/tuto ... to_cd.html
http://manual.audacityteam.org/man/burn ... _a_cd.html
http://manual.audacityteam.org/man/samp ... ation.html

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Operating System: OS X 10.9 Mavericks

Permanent link to this post Posted by Trebor » Sun Nov 27, 2016 5:29 am

SeanDuea wrote:Has anybody abstracted out of the manual, a "light" version? All I want to do is copy my LPs, 45s and 78s to my computer as MP3 files. I don't want to fuss with them at all.

I may get excommunicated for heresy for saying this here,
but there is another free, (cross-platform), audio-editor called OCENAUDIO, which is sort-of Audacity-lite ...
http://lifehacker.com/ocenaudio-is-a-free-fast-streamlined-audio-editor-1613058759
Trebor

Operating System: Windows Vista

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Sun Nov 27, 2016 11:17 am

SeanDuea wrote:Has anybody abstracted out of the manual, a "light" version?

Are you asking for a "light" version of Audacity, or a light version of the Audacity manual?
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)
steve
Site Admin

Operating System: Linux *buntu

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Sun Nov 27, 2016 6:12 pm

light version of the Audacity manual?

And in any event that may not help you very much.

If you stand still and hold the record in your hand (assuming an LP), that's the last place it's simple. If you bought one of the modern USB turntables, you'll have one instruction branch and if you're trying to record using your older entertainment system (highly recommended), you have a different one. Mac/Windows/Linux can be different splits as well.

The turntable makers want you to think this process is a snap, but maybe not. For one thing, it's not unusual for them to include an older version of Audacity with the turntable and our first recommendation is trash that get a newer Audacity. So right away, you're in the digital weeds and you're still holding the record in your hand.

Unless you're a purist and insist on The Vinyl Sound, buying the music again already in digital form is not a bad path.

Also if you have unpublished albums, you may be forced into making transfers work.

My largely non-technical sister wanted to do this and I talked her into sending me the disks and I transferred them on my high-end system and shipped her the files. Far easier.

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Operating System: OS X 10.9 Mavericks

Return to Audacity 2.x Feedback and Reviews