Mouse & Keyboard behaviour changed?

Feedback and Reviews for Audacity 2.x

This board is ONLY for general feedback and discussion about Audacity 2.X.

If you require help, or think you have found a "bug", please post on the forum board relevant to your operating system.
Windows
Mac OS X
GNU/Linux and Unix-like

Re: Mouse & Keyboard behaviour changed?

Permanent link to this post Posted by Gale Andrews » Fri Nov 18, 2016 1:03 pm

steve wrote:this would not be a problem if Audacity had always been like this. It's only unfamiliarity that makes it a problem.

While that is true, I would not call the new requirement to release the mouse an improvement. It's an extra action and extra concentration is needed, IMO.

Gale
________________________________________FOR INSTANT HELP: (Click on Link below)
* * * * * Tips * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Quick Start Guide * * * * * Audacity Manual
Gale Andrews
Quality Assurance

Operating System: Windows 10

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Fri Nov 18, 2016 1:08 pm

From a user perspective, I wouldn't call it an improvement either, but it was not our decision.
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)
steve
Senior Forum Staff

Operating System: Linux *buntu

Permanent link to this post Posted by waxcylinder » Sat Nov 19, 2016 4:30 pm

From this user's perspective it is an improvement and perfectly logical and consistent with many other applications.

You have not actually made the selction until you release the mouse button than, and only then, doe sthe selection become available for playing.

In contrast does anyone seriously expect to use the DELETE key in Audacity while they making the selection rather than after they have fnalized the selection? Earlier versions of Audacity used to allow that too. Or indeed effects could be applied while a selection was in progress if one had assigned a single key shortcut to them.

My belief is that this new behaviour makes Audacity safer.

Non-Audacity use case:
Does Word of Excel enable you to say bold or delete parts of text while you are in the middle of making a selection. No they don't - you have in those to complete the selection and then effect the command.

For users that need adjustable selection playback we do have the Timeline Quick-Play functionality. See this page in the Manual.
See: http://manual.audacityteam.org/man/timeline.html#tqp

WC
* * * * * FAQ * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Audacity Manual * * * * * Audacity Wiki * * * * *
waxcylinder
Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by Gale Andrews » Sun Nov 20, 2016 2:38 pm

waxcylinder wrote:does anyone seriously expect to use the DELETE key in Audacity while they making the selection rather than after they have fnalized the selection?

Yes, that's fine too, if you have several operations where you want to delete at ether selection edge. It's fringe case though.

waxcylinder wrote:For this users that need adjustable selectuon playback we do have the Timeline Quick-Play functionality. See this page in the Manual.
See: http://manual.audacityteam.org/man/timeline.html#tqp

We haven't had one "complainant" yet who reported they preferred that to their previous method. It can't be used as a replacement unless the user enables dragging selections, and even then it is very easy to make an unintended new selection because you must release the mouse in order to play.

Gale
* * * * * Tips * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Quick Start Guide * * * * * Audacity Manual
Gale Andrews
Quality Assurance

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Sun Nov 20, 2016 3:51 pm

Gale Andrews wrote:We haven't had one "complainant" yet who reported they preferred that to their previous method.

I'd not expect any of the complainants to prefer any alternative to their previous method. No matter how good an alternative might be, it is not in their muscle memory, and that is the complaint.
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)
steve
Senior Forum Staff

Operating System: Linux *buntu

Permanent link to this post Posted by waxcylinder » Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:53 pm

steve wrote:
Gale Andrews wrote:We haven't had one "complainant" yet who reported they preferred that to their previous method.

I'd not expect any of the complainants to prefer any alternative to their previous method. No matter how good an alternative might be, it is not in their muscle memory, and that is the complaint.

Nor would I expect many who use such an alternative to write back and say " ... what an improvement this is" - what we see here are the folk who can't make things work or struggle - we get very little positive feedback (but that is to be expected).

So our sample here is in many ways not representative. I've lost count of the number of Audacity users that I've encountered over the years who just manage to get on with it, read the instructions and make it work ( without having to resort to this Forum or feedback@ ).

Peter
* * * * * FAQ * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Audacity Manual * * * * * Audacity Wiki * * * * *
waxcylinder
Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by mamon » Tue May 16, 2017 3:00 pm

Is there a fix for this problem?
I use the mouse and the space very quickly, and letting go of the mouse doubles my editing time.

Or, how do I downgrade to a version where this worked?

Thanks!
mamon

Permanent link to this post Posted by Gale Andrews » Wed May 17, 2017 1:43 pm

mamon wrote:Is there a fix for this problem? I use the mouse and the space very quickly, and letting go of the mouse doubles my editing time.

The developers refuse to do anything about the direct cause of the problem. They see the wxWidgets change to disallow shortcuts with mouse down as a safety improvement and that it would be a crash risk to change that. The developers refer you to the workarounds given in this topic, for example Timeline Quick-Play, though you may have to go more slowly using that method.

I am tracking this issue so that we do consider some "select and play in the waveform" improvements that would be as good or better than what you do now, and just as fast. However you would still have to retrain to another set of muscle movements even if those improvements happen.

mamon wrote:Or, how do I downgrade to a version where this worked?

Use a Mac instead of Windows, or go back to Audacity 2.1.1: http://gaclrecords.org.uk/legacy/.

Gale
Gale Andrews
Quality Assurance

Previous

Return to Audacity 2.x Feedback and Reviews