Problems with the new Noise Reduction replacing Noise Remova

Feedback and Reviews for Audacity 2.x

This board is ONLY for general feedback and discussion about Audacity 2.X.

If you require help, or think you have found a "bug", please post on the forum board relevant to your operating system.
Windows
Mac OS X
GNU/Linux and Unix-like

Re: Problems with the new Noise Reduction replacing Noise Re

Permanent link to this post Posted by Gale Andrews » Tue Jun 30, 2015 1:54 pm

mickthefish wrote:try reading my post if it is published,noise reduction takes patience,but blows other versions away.i'll get back to you if you like ---mickthefish.

Thanks but you said you are using "Audacity "2.01". If you mean 2.0.1, that's old and nothing to do with the Noise Reduction in the current Audacity 2.1.0.

If you meant 2.01 that is a bogus version not made by us.

Gale
________________________________________FOR INSTANT HELP: (Click on Link below)
* * * * * Tips * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Quick Start Guide * * * * * Audacity Manual
Gale Andrews
Quality Assurance

Operating System: Windows 10

Permanent link to this post Posted by mickthefish » Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:12 am

sorry Gale.....i'm using the 2.1.0. version,my mistake.mickthefish.
mickthefish

Operating System: Windows XP

Permanent link to this post Posted by Paul L » Thu Jul 02, 2015 2:07 pm

mickthefish, I'm the one who rewrote Noise Reduction and I would like to hear more about your experience with it.
Paul L

Operating System: Please select

Permanent link to this post Posted by mickthefish » Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:25 pm

hi Paul-ive been using various versions of audacity for several years now,mainly to get rid of HISS & ARTIFACTS on my vast collection of 50s 60s & 70s audio tapes & of course my LPs.i think it was about february when i downloaded your latest version.after weeks of trials ive found that a setting of 4 on the FREQUENCY SMOOTHING BAND in conjunction with around 12 or less on the NOISE REDUCTION corrects all the artifacts & barely if at all harms the high & low frequencies I've tried over 100 of my tapes up to now its like listening to Dolby B with 20 times more clarity(no dullness).ive now decided to re do all my other tapes with this version.PS-nights in white satin,not one artifact & no hiss !!!!.good luck,mickthefish.
mickthefish

Permanent link to this post Posted by Paul L » Fri Jul 03, 2015 2:07 pm

mickthefish wrote:hi Paul-ive been using various versions of audacity for several years now,mainly to get rid of HISS & ARTIFACTS on my vast collection of 50s 60s & 70s audio tapes & of course my LPs.i think it was about february when i downloaded your latest version.after weeks of trials ive found that a setting of 4 on the FREQUENCY SMOOTHING BAND in conjunction with around 12 or less on the NOISE REDUCTION corrects all the artifacts & barely if at all harms the high & low frequencies I've tried over 100 of my tapes up to now its like listening to Dolby B with 20 times more clarity(no dullness).ive now decided to re do all my other tapes with this version.PS-nights in white satin,not one artifact & no hiss !!!!.good luck,mickthefish.

So I assume that also means you leave the Sensitivity at the default 6.

Have you made comparisons with the old 2.0.6 noise removal effect to be sure the improvement is real?

I am pleased to know that you appreciate the improvements. Thank you.
Paul L

Operating System: Please select

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Fri Jul 03, 2015 7:13 pm

My application is straightforward. Noise Reduction gracefully removes hiss and background noise from vocal recordings and Noise Removal doesn't/didn't. If the user is careful about the Profile step, we can simulate a microphone with a lower noise floor than actually exists.

My go-to tool is the Noise Reduction of the Beast: 6, 6, 6, with a variation of 12, 6, 6 if the presentation needs a little more help. If more help than that is needed, I usually go straight to fixing the studio or microphone rather than trying to "clean it up" in post production.

6, 6, 6 is the difference between a prominent hiss level behind the performance and a hiss level that you can hear only if somebody points it out to you. Otherwise, it vanishes, even though it's only a 6dB change. It can also put you over the edge if you miss ACX Noise by juuuust this much, and vanish while it's doing it.

It's pretty impressive and I had to sit down the first time I found out it would do that.

"Oh, this is good. Let me write this down...."

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Operating System: OS X 10.9 Mavericks

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Fri Jul 03, 2015 7:17 pm

Quick note: It's usually beneficial to apply Steve's LF_rolloff equalization before any other processing. Suddenly you don't have to deal with frequencies much below 100Hz or so. Attached.

Koz
Attachments
Screen Shot 2015-07-03 at 12.16.15.png
Screen Shot 2015-07-03 at 12.16.15.png (63.37 KiB) Viewed 731 times
LF_rolloff_for_speech.xml.zip
(326 Bytes) Downloaded 30 times
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Operating System: OS X 10.9 Mavericks

Permanent link to this post Posted by mickthefish » Tue Jul 07, 2015 12:18 pm

Paul L wrote:
mickthefish wrote:hi Paul-ive been using various versions of audacity for several years now,mainly to get rid of HISS & ARTIFACTS on my vast collection of 50s 60s & 70s audio tapes & of course my LPs.i think it was about february when i downloaded your latest version.after weeks of trials ive found that a setting of 4 on the FREQUENCY SMOOTHING BAND in conjunction with around 12 or less on the NOISE REDUCTION corrects all the artifacts & barely if at all harms the high & low frequencies I've tried over 100 of my tapes up to now its like listening to Dolby B with 20 times more clarity(no dullness).ive now decided to re do all my other tapes with this version.PS-nights in white satin,not one artifact & no hiss !!!!
So I assume that also means you leave the Sensitivity at the default 6.

NO I sent you the wrong settings. See http://forum.audacityteam.org/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=86167&p=279782#p279782

Paul L wrote:Have you made comparisons with the old 2.0.6 noise removal effect to be sure the improvement is real?

YES.
Last edited by Gale Andrews on Tue Jul 07, 2015 12:39 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Reason: Fixed quote tags. Link to correct settings.
mickthefish

Permanent link to this post Posted by mickthefish » Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:38 am

will NOISE REDUCTION be any different on the 2.1.1 version ?,Or will i have to re do all my tapes and records again---mickthefish.
mickthefish

Permanent link to this post Posted by Gale Andrews » Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:48 am

mickthefish wrote:will NOISE REDUCTION be any different on the 2.1.1 version ?,Or will i have to re do all my tapes and records again---mickthefish.

2.1.1 is already released http://audacityteam.org/download/windows. The Noise Reduction in 2.1.1 is the same as in 2.1.0.

Gale
________________________________________FOR INSTANT HELP: (Click on Link below)
* * * * * Tips * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Quick Start Guide * * * * * Audacity Manual
Gale Andrews
Quality Assurance

Operating System: Windows 10

PreviousNext

Return to Audacity 2.x Feedback and Reviews