Can't change tempo

Feedback and Reviews for Audacity 2.x

This board is ONLY for general feedback and discussion about Audacity 2.X.

If you require help, or think you have found a "bug", please post on the forum board relevant to your operating system.
Windows
Mac OS X
GNU/Linux and Unix-like

Can't change tempo

Permanent link to this post Posted by Darto » Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:42 pm

With Audacity v 2.1.x I can easily open an mp3 file and apply Effect,Change Tempo.

With Aucacity v 2.2.x I cannot do this at all, therefore I have reverted back to v 2.1.1.

In 2.2, where I am not running a chain but just working on 1 file, if I try Effect, Change Tempo it will not allow me to change it.
Darto

Operating System: Windows 8 or 8.1

Re: Can't change tempo

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:53 pm

Please describe step by step what you are doing in the new version (2.2.2?) that is not working.
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)
steve
Site Admin

Operating System: Linux *buntu

Permanent link to this post Posted by Darto » Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:25 pm

The detail is the same I mentioned in original post.

In Audacity two I open an mp3 file in Aud 2.
I click Effect, Change Tempo.
And it is greyed out , I cannot change tempo on any mp3 file.

However Audacity version 1.x work perfectly when I do the above.

I solved the issue by junking Audacity 2 versions, and re installing and using Audacity version 1 which works perfectly.
Darto

Operating System: Windows 8 or 8.1

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:35 am

In all versions of Audacity, effects are applied to the audio that is "selected".

In older versions of Audacity, if you try to apply an effect and there is no audio selected, then Audacity automatically selects the entire project, and applies the effect to that.
This behaviour is often convenient, but it also has some disadvantages. For example, you could have a large and complex project with multiple tracks, and if you press the "Del" key without first making a selection, then the entire project, everything in every track, will be deleted - which is probably not what you want or expect.

In recent versions of Audacity, including the current 2.2.2 version of Audacity, this "select all if none selected" behaviour is off by default, but may be enabled in preferences by anyone that prefers to old behaviour. Now, in Audacity 2.2.2, if you attempt to apply an effect and there is no selected audio, Audacity will prompt you to make an audio selection.

Audacity 2.2.2 may be downloaded here: https://www.audacityteam.org/download/ (ensure that you use the text links to download Audacity - we do not use download buttons, but some adverts use a "download button" to trick people into downloading something different).

Please note that the 1.x series of Audacity is obsolete and no longer supported.
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)
steve
Site Admin

Operating System: Linux *buntu

Return to Audacity 2.x Feedback and Reviews