recording from monitor of system audio?

Help for Audacity 2.x.x on GNU/Linux.

ImageThis forum is for Audacity 2.x.x on GNU/Linux.
Please state:
  • which version of Linux you are using,
  • the exact three-section version number of Audacity from Help menu > About Audacity,
  • whether you installed your distribution's release, PPA version, or compiled Audacity from source code.

Audacity 1.2.x and 1.3.x are obsolete and no longer supported. If you still have those versions, please upgrade (see https://www.audacityteam.org/download/).
The old forums for those versions are now closed, but you can still read the archives of the 1.2.x and 1.3.x forums.

recording from monitor of system audio?

Permanent link to this post Posted by pattimichelle » Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:00 am

I have an HP Envy Touchsmart 17 laptop running opensuse LEAP 42.3. The sound system Audacity (2.2.2) seems to find is ALSA:
HDA Intel PCH:92HD91BXX Analog hw(1,0)

Audacity seems to only be able to record from the computer's internal monitor, so I get room sounds and so forth in addition to the computer audio (speaker outputs).

I tried the recording software "Simple Screen Recorder" - it defaults to PulseAudio, and has the options to either record from "Built-in Analog Stereo" or "Monitor of Built-in Analog Stereo." When I choose the Monitor... option, it records direction from the speaker feeds, not from the internal microphone, so I don't record ambient (room) sounds. SSR has options for ALSA, PulseAudio, and JACK - to get the option for the Monitor of Analog Stereo, I have to use the PulseAudio backend.

So I guess my question is, can I get Audacity to use PulseAudio and obtain the ability to record from the Monitor of Analog Stereo?

Thank You Very Much!
PattiMichelle
pattimichelle

Operating System: GNU/Linux other

Re: recording from monitor of system audio?

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:57 am

9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)
steve
Site Admin

Operating System: Linux *buntu

Return to GNU/Linux