Configuration Error with GCC compiler check

I’m trying to build Audacity 2.2.2 on Raspbian Stretch. I have the latest code tree from github. My compiler is gcc (Raspbian 6.3.0-18+rpi1) 6.3.0 20170516. I have wxWidgets installed. When configuring Audacity, I’m using the following command:

../configure --with-lame --with-libid3tag --with-libsoxr=local --with-libvorbis --with-lv2 --with-portaudio --with-midi --with-portmidi --with-widgetextra=local --with-portmixer

during the configuration process, I get an error:

checking for lrintf... yes
gnu XXX
checking whether C++ compiler accepts -msse... no
configure: error: Need a version of gcc with -msse
configure: error: ../../../lib-src/sbsms/configure failed for lib-src/sbsms

I’ve looked for a reference to -msse but can find no information on this flag for the gcc compiler. Any suggestions about what is causing this error? What is -msse?

UPDATE: I found the -msse compiler flag buried in the gcc documentation. It’s an x86 option, so of course it will be “no” when compiled on an ARM-based processor. Specifically, this enables the SSE instruction set on some older processors. This is the reference from gnu.org:

‘sse’
Use scalar floating-point instructions present in the SSE instruction set. This instruction set is supported by Pentium III and newer chips, and in the AMD line by Athlon-4, Athlon XP and Athlon MP chips. The earlier version of the SSE instruction set supports only single-precision arithmetic, thus the double and extended-precision arithmetic are still done using 387. A later version, present only in Pentium 4 and AMD x86-64 chips, supports double-precision arithmetic too.

For the x86-32 compiler, you must use -march=cpu-type, -msse or -msse2 switches to enable SSE extensions and make this option effective. For the x86-64 compiler, these extensions are enabled by default.

I don’t understand why this flag would be necessary for a compile on an ARM-based system, though. I think this is a bug.

UPDATE: compiling with --disable-sse will succeed. Since WindowsXP is no longer supported by Audacity, sse is enabled by default, but of course won’t run on an ARM processor.