No "Mono" option for each track

My audacity version is Audacity 2.2.0. Its build Information is:

Program build date: Jan 29 2016
Commit Id: No revision identifier was provided
Build type: Release build
Compiler: GCC 5.4.0
Installation Prefix: /usr
Settings folder: /home/t/.audacity-data

I followed this link How to Remove Vocals from Songs Using Audacity « Audacity :: WonderHowTo to remove vocal from a song in mp3 format.

When I reach “Step 4 Set Each Track to Mono”, there is no “Mono” option in the menu of each track. See the following screenshot. I wonder what is going wrong? Thanks.

https://i.imgur.com/rPoQmVv.png

I got burned with that a bit ago.

Assume you got past the point where you Effect > Invert one track??

Top track dropdown > Make Stereo Track.

Tracks > Mix > Mix Down To Mono.

Or.

In Audacity 2.2.1, there’s Vocal Reduction and Isolation.

http://manual.audacityteam.org/man/vocal_reduction_and_isolation.html

Koz

I’m having the same issue. I’ve tried all these options including vocal reduction and isolation and vocal remover neither work for me. Looked at other issues online. Using Mac and Audacity 2.2.2. :angry: :angry: :angry:

The “wonder how to” article is wrong in multiple ways:

1. “Removing vocals from any song is a super-easy process”
    No it isn’t. Removing vocals from “some” songs is super-easy, but for “most” songs it is difficult or impossible.

2. “Split the Track”
    In very old versions of Audacity this would have been correct, but in more recent versions you should “Split Stereo to Mono”.

3. “You may notice you can still barely hear the vocals. If that’s the case, go to Effect → Amplify and choose a negative level value—you’ll want to play around with the exact values until you find one that works best for your specific track.”
    This is just wishful thinking. “Theoretically” tweaking track levels could provide some improvement in a very few, very specific cases, but in the vast majority of cases it will make the separation worse.

4. The entire process is obsolete because Audacity has shipped a “Vocal Remover” effect for many years, which automates this technique (correctly) in a single click. Note that this effect is now classed as “legacy” (because it has been superseded by a better version) and will be removed at some future date.

5. The tutorial never once refers to the manual, which is kept up to date with all the latest features.

For current information about vocal removal / vocal reduction / vocal isolation, see here in the manual: http://manual.audacityteam.org/man/tutorial_vocal_removal_and_isolation.html

I’ve tried all these options including vocal reduction and isolation and vocal remover neither work for me.

If your original work is mono or mono transcoded into stereo, no tools will do anything. The tools work by having a difference between left and right sound. In mono, there is no left and right.

Watch the Audacity bouncing sound meters. If L and R match exactly when you play the work, Vocal Removal is not in your cards.

Koz