Problem with Software Playthrough and Pulse

Help for Audacity 2.x.x on GNU/Linux.

ImageThis forum is for Audacity 2.x.x on GNU/Linux and Unix-like operating systems.
Please state which version of Linux you are using, the exact three-section version number of Audacity from Help > About Audacity... and whether you installed your distribution's release or daily version of Audacity or compiled Audacity from source code.

Audacity 1.2.x and 1.3.x are obsolete and no longer supported. If you still have those versions, please upgrade at https://www.audacityteam.org/download/.
The old forums for those versions are now closed, but you can still read the archives of the 1.2.x and 1.3.x forums.

Re: Problem with Software Playthrough and Pulse

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:57 pm

When you run other audio applications, do they show up in PulseAudio volume control, and is PulseAudio connecting them to your Xonar sound card?
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)
steve
Site Admin

Operating System: Linux *buntu

Permanent link to this post Posted by audiofile375 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:43 pm

Steve,
I think those references to "AV200" are your Asus Xonar not working, but other than that I don't know what they mean.

Yes, the AV200 is the sound chip used in the Xonar D2. These messages puzzled me too. They look like compiler errors, but it is in runtime, not compile time. It may be some sort of debug feature. These seem to be coming from the ALSA lib, but I do not know what they mean, other than it doesn't look right.

I can't see whether you are building with a local or system version of PortAudio, but for Audacity 2.2.0 it needs to be the local version.

It does look like the compile is with the local portaudio. Here is the end of the configure:
Code: Select all
Finished configure:
EXPAT: using SYSTEM libraries
FFMPEG: using SYSTEM libraries
LAME: using SYSTEM libraries
LIBFLAC: using SYSTEM libraries
LIBID3TAG: using SYSTEM libraries
LIBMAD: using SYSTEM libraries
LIBNYQUIST: using LOCAL libraries
LIBSBSMS: using LOCAL libraries
LIBSNDFILE: using SYSTEM libraries
LIBSOUNDTOUCH: using SYSTEM libraries
LIBSOXR: using LOCAL libraries
LIBTWOLAME: using SYSTEM libraries
LIBVAMP: using SYSTEM libraries
LIBVORBIS: using SYSTEM libraries
LV2: disabled
PORTAUDIO: using LOCAL libraries
PORTSMF: using LOCAL libraries
PORTMIDI: using LOCAL libraries
WIDGETEXTRA: using LOCAL libraries
ladspa plugin support: enabled
audiounit plugin support: disabled
VST plugin support: enabled
prefix=/usr

Run 'configure --help' for an explanation of these options,
otherwise run 'make' to build Audacity.

When you run other audio applications, do they show up in PulseAudio volume control, and is PulseAudio connecting them to your Xonar sound card?

Yes, they do. I use xine a lot and it connects fine. I have also seen some Firefox connections in Pulse, so it is using Pulse to play sound and I have heard it.
Thanks.
Girvin
audiofile375

Operating System: GNU/Linux other

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:29 pm

audiofile375 wrote:Yes, they do. I use xine a lot and it connects fine. I have also seen some Firefox connections in Pulse, so it is using Pulse to play sound and I have heard

In that case, it "should" be very straightforward; Just select "Pulse" for recording and playback devices, and let PulseAudio handle the Xonar.
You're going to tell me that doesn't work.
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)
steve
Site Admin

Operating System: Linux *buntu

Permanent link to this post Posted by audiofile375 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:13 pm

Steve,
In that case, it "should" be very straightforward; Just select "Pulse" for recording and playback devices, and let PulseAudio handle the Xonar.
You're going to tell me that doesn't work.

Yes, it sortof works. Here is the problem:
If I have "Software Passthrough" turned off, recording seems to be working fine, but I cannot hear what is being recorded (or monitored) and Pulse does not show any Audacity playback connection for the output channel (speakers).
If I turn "Software Passthrough" on, then I record and hear less than a second of sound and Audacity stops with the level meters stuck at the last sample. If I stop and restart the recording process, I get another fraction of a second of recording and it stops again. When it stops, I can see there is an Audacity connection made in Pulse, but it is not producing any sound. I do not know why Audacity is stopping. The only clue I have is those last 3 lines of the console output when I started the recording process and Audacity spit them out when it stopped. They reference "/src/hostapi/alsa/pa_linux_alsa.c".

If Audacity was stable and recording with Software Passthrough turned on so I could hear what is being recorded, then I don't think I would have a problem with Audacity. I just want to hear what is being recorded, while it is being recorded or in the monitor mode ("Click to start Monitoring").
Girvin
audiofile375

Operating System: GNU/Linux other

Previous

Return to GNU/Linux and Unix-like