How to maintain 'bitrate' during Normalizing

Help for Audacity 2.x.x on GNU/Linux.

ImageThis forum is for Audacity 2.x.x on GNU/Linux and Unix-like operating systems.
Please state which version of Linux you are using, the exact three-section version number of Audacity from Help > About Audacity... and whether you installed your distribution's release or daily version of Audacity or compiled Audacity from source code.

Audacity 1.2.x and 1.3.x are obsolete and no longer supported. If you still have those versions, please upgrade at https://www.audacityteam.org/download/.
The old forums for those versions are now closed, but you can still read the archives of the 1.2.x and 1.3.x forums.

How to maintain 'bitrate' during Normalizing

Permanent link to this post Posted by robertdaleweir » Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:07 pm

Hi
I have just discovered how to use 'chains' under Audacity. This option is a god send. I have a question however which I was unable to find in the documentation. When using 'chains' how can one keep the 'bitrate' of the input file while 'normalizing' it. I have a group of 'mp3' files which I ripped at 232 kb/sec when I normalize them (using chains) they are reduced to 128kb/sec. My settings are ' ApplyGain="1" Level="-0.100000000000" RemoveDcOffset="1" StereoIndependent="0" '. I do not know what or if I can add a parameter which would maintain the 'bitrate'. It it possible?
robertdaleweir

Operating System: Please select

Re: How to maintain 'bitrate' during Normalizing

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:36 pm

ExportMP3 in a Chain will use whatever MP3 settings you used last.
To make the Chain export with specific MP3 settings, create a short audio track and export it with the desired settings, then run the Chain.

By the way, 232 kbps is not a standard bit rate for MP3.
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)
steve
Site Admin

Operating System: Linux *buntu

Permanent link to this post Posted by robertdaleweir » Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:24 pm

Thank you. I will try that. The 'mp3's I examined in EasyTag and found that it said as shown in attached picture. I appreciate your post.
Robert
Attachments
2017-11-06-09-20-29.png
2017-11-06-09-20-29.png (19.34 KiB) Viewed 321 times
robertdaleweir

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:05 pm

The squiggle (tilde) before the number 232 means "about / approximately", which makes sense if it is encoded with variable bit-rate (VBR).
steve
Site Admin

Permanent link to this post Posted by robertdaleweir » Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:06 pm

I have chosen the following settings but I do not understand exactly what they do. ApplyGain="1" Level="-0.100000000000" RemoveDcOffset="1" StereoIndependent="0" I think I understand the last one in that the Stereo Channels are normalized together and not separately. The others I would like to know more about. Thanks...
Robert
robertdaleweir

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:09 pm

robertdaleweir wrote:I have chosen the following settings but I do not understand exactly what they do. ApplyGain="1" Level="-0.100000000000" RemoveDcOffset="1" StereoIndependent="0" I think I understand the last one in that the Stereo Channels are normalized together and not separately. The others I would like to know more about. Thanks...
Robert

Those are just the available settings in the Normalize effect. They are described in the manual here: http://manual.audacityteam.org/man/normalize.html
steve
Site Admin

(Solved) Re: How to maintain 'bitrate' during Normalizing

Permanent link to this post Posted by robertdaleweir » Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:16 pm

Got it. Thanks for all of you assistance. I will mark this Solved.
Robert
robertdaleweir

Return to GNU/Linux and Unix-like