To install Audacity from software manager or a PPA?

Help for Audacity 2.x.x on GNU/Linux.

ImageThis forum is for Audacity 2.x.x on GNU/Linux and Unix-like operating systems.
Please state which version of Linux you are using, the exact three-section version number of Audacity from Help > About Audacity... and whether you installed your distribution's release or daily version of Audacity or compiled Audacity from source code.

Audacity 1.2.x and 1.3.x are obsolete and no longer supported. If you still have those versions, please upgrade at https://www.audacityteam.org/download/.
The old forums for those versions are now closed, but you can still read the archives of the 1.2.x and 1.3.x forums.

To install Audacity from software manager or a PPA?

Permanent link to this post Posted by dmgt943 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:14 pm

My Linux Mint (17.2) software manager offers Audacity 2.0.5-1ubuntu3.2.
I am wondering if I should just install this or if I should use the PPA (PandaJim) from the Audacity site to install version 2.1.3?
My primary use of Audacity will be to create CDs of unique cassette recordings.
dmgt943

Operating System: Linux Mint

Re: To install Audacity from software manager or a PPA?

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:30 pm

Generally it's best to go with the repository version of software unless you have a very good reason not to.

If I recall correctly Mint 17 is based on Ubuntu 14.04, which has wxgtk 2.8 and 3.0.0 but not 3.0.2. The recommended version of wxgtk for current versions of Audacity is 3.0.2.
I'd suggest that you give the repository version (2.0.5) a go. I presume that you will be updating Mint in the not too distant future, so then you will get a more recent version of Audacity.

If you have problems with 2.0.5, let us know, but I think 2.0.5 should work OK.
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)
steve
Site Admin

Operating System: Linux *buntu

Re: To install Audacity from software manager or a PPA?

Permanent link to this post Posted by dmgt943 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:52 pm

Thanks, that's what I'll do.
dmgt943

Operating System: Linux Mint

Return to GNU/Linux and Unix-like