How to automatically truncate silence-like parts?

Help for Audacity 2.x.x on GNU/Linux.

ImageThis forum is for Audacity 2.x.x on GNU/Linux and Unix-like operating systems.
Please state which version of Linux you are using, the exact three-section version number of Audacity from Help > About Audacity... and whether you installed your distribution's release or daily version of Audacity or compiled Audacity from source code.

Audacity 1.2.x and 1.3.x are obsolete and no longer supported. If you still have those versions, please upgrade at https://www.audacityteam.org/download/.
The old forums for those versions are now closed, but you can still read the archives of the 1.2.x and 1.3.x forums.

How to automatically truncate silence-like parts?

Permanent link to this post Posted by vitaly-zdanevich » Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:27 am

Good day to everyone. I use Audacity pretty often - mainly for clearing/adjusting of my recorded lectures. With my last record I faced with a problem that this six hours file has many little silence-like parts. On parts that larger than 100ms I can use `Silence Finder` and manually delete it. But what about smaller parts and that not exactly pure silence? I believe that such parts can be algorithmically identified. Maybe exists some plugin for such task or I can write myself? Thank you for support.
audacity-silence-waveform-db.png
Waveform dB
audacity-silence-waveform-db.png (53.09 KiB) Viewed 333 times

audacity-silence-waveform.png
audacity-silence-like
audacity-silence-waveform.png (37.48 KiB) Viewed 333 times

audacity-silence-waveform-db.png
Waveform dB
audacity-silence-waveform-db.png (53.09 KiB) Viewed 333 times
Attachments
audacity-silence-spectral.png
audacity-silence-spectral.png (249.09 KiB) Viewed 333 times
vitaly-zdanevich

Operating System: Linux *buntu

Re: How to automatically truncate silence-like parts?

Permanent link to this post Posted by Trebor » Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:38 pm

vitaly-zdanevich wrote: I faced with a problem that this six hours file has many little silence-like parts.
aka Skips ... http://manual.audacityteam.org/man/faq_recording_troubleshooting.html#How_can_I_record_without_small_skips_or_duplications.3F

vitaly-zdanevich wrote:Maybe exists some plugin for such task
It's built-in ... Truncate silence

There will probably be clicks where the silences have been removed : you may need a DeClicker plugin.
Trebor

Operating System: Windows Vista

Permanent link to this post Posted by vitaly-zdanevich » Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:06 am

`Truncate Silence` is not an option for such case - because as you can see on the screenshots - this `silence-like` parts in reality a noise-like parts - that is not more quiet than some natural correct silence. Maybe exists some plugin with functionality like inside Noise Reduction - where I can take `profile` (example) and take next actions with such example in mind?
vitaly-zdanevich

Permanent link to this post Posted by Trebor » Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:50 pm

vitaly-zdanevich wrote:`Truncate Silence` is not an option for such case - because as you can see on the screenshots - this `silence-like` parts in reality a noise-like parts ...

"Truncate silence" doesn't just work on true flat-line silence.
You set a threshold on "Truncate silence" : anything below that threshold will be treated as silence.

Before you use "Truncate silence" use "Normalize" to remove the small DC offset you've got ...

flat-line is not on zero = 'DC offset'.png
flat-line is not on zero = 'DC offset'.png (77.4 KiB) Viewed 313 times
Trebor

Operating System: Windows Vista

Permanent link to this post Posted by vitaly-zdanevich » Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:45 am

Thank you!

I found that normalize with removing of DC offset just increase DC offset, so I search the web about how to fix DC offset and found a solution - High Pass Filter (90Hz, Rolloff: 6dB) that remove low-frequency noise (so as I understand - on my screenshots was not a DC offset but that noise). And after that Truncate Silence - works like a magic. For the last week I lost few hours for manually removing of that silence and after that - manually removing of new clicks using selection in spectral view.

Thank you again!
vitaly-zdanevich

Return to GNU/Linux and Unix-like