Link to help for those with crashes of Audacity in linux

Hi all,
one of us at linuxmusicians (Bossco) came across an interesting solution to some of the disrespectful behavior of recent Audacity releases for linux. Seems to consist basically in moving about things concerning the .dssi directory. Anyone with similar issues and interested can check out his experience here: LM-Audacity-issues

(I’d be curious to hear about Audacity developers’ (and anyone else’s) experiences, if similar…?)

Hth!

brian

It’s known that a number of old plug-ins cause problems in Audacity. It would be good if Audacity were more robust against buggy plug-ins, but from what I hear, sandboxing plug-ins would not only be difficult, but would adversely affect the performance of all plug-ins (including “good” plug-ins). The best solution would be to fix the bugs in the plug-ins, but unfortunately that is not likely to happen for obsolete plug-ins.

I’ve not found amsynth-dssi in the Ubuntu repository. Is it officially supported by Ubuntu (or by anyone)?
I do see “amsynth” in Xenial, but it is a very old version (1.5.1-2build2).
You could try building amsynth 1.8.0 from the source code (https://amsynth.github.io/) and see if that also causes a problem.

The other point that someone made in that thread about Debian building Audacity with the wrong version of wxWidgets is correct regarding Audacity 2.1.1 . Audacity 2.1.2 and earlier must be built against wxWidgets 2.8. Audacity 2.1.2 and later must be built against wxWidgets 3.0 (preferably 3.0.2).

Update: It’s in the amsynth package in Ubuntu 16.04 Ubuntu – Error

So I’ve installed that on Xubuntu 16.04, and found no problem with either the Ubuntu release of Audacity 2.1.2, or with the latest 2.2.0 beta build of Audacity. So where does that leave us? Is there a rogue version of amsynth-dssi somewhere?

Another user here that has had the same problem: audacity doesn't start! I need some help...
I’m hoping that someone can give more information about the specific version of amsynth-dssi that is producing this problem.