Musicians, how do you play/record guitar in Audacity?

Help for Audacity 2.x.x on GNU/Linux.

ImageThis forum is for Audacity 2.x.x on GNU/Linux and Unix-like operating systems.
Please state which version of Linux you are using, the exact three-section version number of Audacity from Help > About Audacity... and whether you installed your distribution's release or daily version of Audacity or compiled Audacity from source code.

Audacity 1.2.x and 1.3.x are obsolete and no longer supported. If you still have those versions, please upgrade at https://www.audacityteam.org/download/.
The old forums for those versions are now closed, but you can still read the archives of the 1.2.x and 1.3.x forums.

Musicians, how do you play/record guitar in Audacity?

Permanent link to this post Posted by Veerstryngh Thynner » Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:55 pm

Audacity version: 2.05
Instruments: tenor guitar, G# Guitar, soprano uke, bass guitar (all electric)[

Guitar interfaces available:

Behringer Guitar Link CGU102
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Behringer-UCG1 ... B000PAPO9W
Ion Guitar Link
https://www.ionaudio.com/products/details/guitarlink

Hello all,

Musicians recording regularly in Audacity, I could do with your help.

For recording electric string instruments in Audacity, on my regular laptop, a preamp, an audio interface, or a usb line-in audio adapter is required.

- Behringer Guitar Link CGU102: KDE Mint recognises Guitar Link, but I can't make it communicate with Audacity.
- ION Guitar Link: effect in KDE Mint as well as in Audacity unknown.

If you have previous experience with these Guitar Links and have thought of some way of turning these Linux-compatible, I'd very much like to hear from you.

I may need a USB Line In audio adapter. Those I have come across online have been fitted, without exception, with a line OUT[put (green ring) and a microphone INput (red or pink ring). I couldn't find any with a genuine LINE-IN option (blue ring)

Useful suggestions, comments and ideas regarding the topic above are very welcome, too.

Veerstryngh Thynner
Last edited by Veerstryngh Thynner on Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Veerstryngh Thynner

Operating System: Linux Mint

Re: Musicians, how do you play/record guitar in Audacity?

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:11 pm

You might consider the larger units like Behringer UM2. That one will connect to a rock band microphone like the Shure SM58, higher end broadcast and studio microphones (with Phantom Power) and has Line-In and Instrument-in. But the most important thing it does is provide Zero Latency Monitoring so you can listen to yourself and the old tracks you made last week in Overdubbing/sound-on-sound.

It's mono, so if you need to produce stereo out of the gate, you need something else and it won't connect to lower-end "computer microphones." Please note that people buy stereo units only to find that they can't overdub because their instrument is stuck on Left hand side of a stereo show and they can't stop it. These units can't switch like a mixer can.

I think the Scarlett Solo will do that, as well.

I get stuck every time I do this, but Audacity doesn't have a 2.05 and the latest version is 2.1.3. Linux people have weird versions.

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Operating System: OS X 10.9 Mavericks

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:30 pm

- if the headphones output on your laptop has been equipped, like mine, with a combo jack, you may be able to use it as line input, too! Consult your system's manual.

We're not excited about combo jacks. Too many users show up on the forum wondering why their live music recording is distorted and it's a safe bet they plugged their SomethineSomething into the socket on the side of their laptop without checking first. OK, now you tell a beginner-user what's wrong. I'll wait.

This business of adapting one connection to a bunch of different jobs is also why that socket doesn't do microphones very well, either.

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:59 pm

This is a test clip from my UM2. It's a live (ratty) microphone and I'm listening to each track and me in real time and in sync as I record—three layers.

In music, that would be drums, bass and lead guitar, recorded one after the other.

Koz
Attachments
UM2OverdubbingTest.mp3
(325.71 KiB) Downloaded 6 times
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:16 pm

Here. I just did a three-way perfect overdubbing session on the picnic table using exactly what you see in that picture. Click the picture. No wall power and you may be able to hear the jets going over. The AKG microphone is a public address microphone handy for testing.

Koz
Attachments
UM2OverdubPicnicTable.jpg
UM2OverdubPicnicTable.jpg (100.37 KiB) Viewed 228 times
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:36 am

a three-way perfect overdubbing session on the picnic table

By "Perfect 'Overdubbing," I don't mean it's ready for Lincoln Center, I mean I hear a perfect mix of my live voice and the backing tracks as I perform. That's really hard to do if you need that. You can't, for example, listen to the computer, even if you have all the adapters.

That goes for any instruments you plug in, too.

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Return to GNU/Linux and Unix-like