Latency test does not record click track

Hi,

I am unable to do the latency test, because Audacity does not record the click track.

I am running Ubuntu 16.04 lts

Audacity 2.1.2

I’m using a Focusrite 2i2

… and whether you installed your distribution’s release or daily version of Audacity or compiled Audacity from source code.

That part I don’t know the answer to. My operating system was upgraded some months ago at the computer shop. The upgrade did not include Audacity as it did when I bought the computer.

The tech installed Audacity for me when i picked up the computer. I recall hearing him say to himself, something about source code as he worked on the installation.

What are you wanting to record?

Thanks for the reply.

i have some recordings made on a Zoom H2n, of some friends doing their original songs, without a bass guitar.

I am attempting to record my bass playing along with their recordings.

The latency test means you create a click or other rhythm track and then play that in overdubbing with your headphones jammed against the microphone. The latency correction is the difference between the two tracks. Has your microphone ever worked with the new system?

Koz

Do you have a microphone? This isn’t going to work if you plug the bass into the computer.

Koz

The microphone in this case is the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2. I have my bass plugged into that.

i do have a microphone. Do I need a mic to perform the latency test?

I saw a video on youtube where they set up a click track, then pressed record, and it records the click track on another track.

Then they were able to synchronize the tracks.

When I tried this, the click track plays, and the overdub track does not record the click track.

This is what I meant when I said the latency test does not record the click track.

Screen Shot 2017-07-20 at 11.16.17.png
This is the graphic version of how to do this. You play the backing or rhythm track into your headphones (I know these aren’t headphones, but work with me here).

Your microphone picks up the backing track sound and feeds it back into the computer to a new track. Inspect the difference between the old and new track and apply that to the latency adjustment.

When you perform, you listen to the headphones and play in time to that. Your microphone picks up your voice or instrument and gives you a new track in perfect time to the original.

So you’re missing a step. I guess you can plug in your microphone just to do this adjustment. That would work. The process does get a little wacky if you have an instrument and no microphone.

Also a click track is recommended just for the adjustment. It’s easier to see the individual clicks and match them up later.

There is an overdubbing publication.

http://manual.audacityteam.org/man/tutorial_recording_multi_track_overdubs.html

Audacity has no official videos and we’re not fans of YouTube publications. Most of the existing ones are out of date, misleading or just wrong.

People post instructions and then lose interest when they find they have to submit to the Audacity Editorial Process. It’s not fun having a company tell you your video is wrong. So they leave the video up there, errors and all.

Koz

Thanks for the reply Koz!

I have it now.

I did stuff my mic between the headphones, and got the click track recorded.

Then I was able to get the latency dialed in. It sounds fine now.

If I understand correctly, the latency issue should remain corrected now.

At least I know how to go about dialing it in now.

Thanks!!!

If I understand correctly, the latency issue should remain corrected now.

Yes, but.

Recording Latency can change if you do silly things like fill up the computer, change drives, etc. Hard drives can slow down as they fill up and external drives (USB, FireWire, Thunderbolt, etc) are not recommended because their latency can change minute to minute.

Internal spinning metal is fine, Solid State much better.

Koz