need speed

Help for Audacity 2.x.x on GNU/Linux.

ImageThis forum is for Audacity 2.x.x on GNU/Linux and Unix-like operating systems.
Please state which version of Linux you are using, the exact three-section version number of Audacity from Help > About Audacity... and whether you installed your distribution's release or daily version of Audacity or compiled Audacity from source code.

Audacity 1.2.x and 1.3.x are obsolete and no longer supported. If you still have those versions, please upgrade at https://www.audacityteam.org/download/.
The old forums for those versions are now closed, but you can still read the archives of the 1.2.x and 1.3.x forums.

Re: need speed

Permanent link to this post Posted by autodctr » Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:04 pm

steve wrote:With Jack NOT running, try setting both the recording device and the playback device to "QU-32: USB Audio (hw:1,0)" in the device toolbar, and set the "Project Rate" (in the lower left corner of the main window) to 48000.
The project rate can be set to 48000 as the default in "Edit > Preferences > Quality".

Did exactly what you asked. Same thing: 30 second recording only showing 6 seconds.

Next week, church service will be at a park: annual church picnic. Hopefully, the following week, I'll have a Win7 machine to test recording.
autodctr

Operating System: Linux *buntu

Permanent link to this post Posted by autodctr » Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:06 pm

OK Steve. Let me tell you how well the Windows world isn't going. Took a dual boot machine out this morning. Went to Allen & Heath's website and downloaded the Windows driver that I needed. It says it should work with Win MME sound, but I can only choose 2 channels. With WASAPI sound chosen, I can then choose 18 channels. However, when I go to start the recording, I get an error saying that there was a problem opening the device. I have changed the recording frequency and everything else that I could find, but still get the same error. Any ideas?
autodctr

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:12 pm

Do Allen & Heath provide ASIO drivers for it?
If they do, try installing the ASIO drivers and recording with Reaper (free trial version that does not expire - if you decide to keep it, you should buy it).
If that does not work, then I think you need to contact Allen & Heath.
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)
steve
Site Admin

Permanent link to this post Posted by autodctr » Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:20 pm

The ASIO driver is what I installed from Allen & Heath. I also d-led Reaper and installed it. (I am doing this from home via Teamviewer.) There is nothing going on at church, so there is nothing to actually record right now to even test it. I left the mixer on when I left this morning. I guess that I will have to wait until Sunday to try it.
autodctr

Permanent link to this post Posted by autodctr » Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:04 pm

I was reading on Reaper's site that it works well in WINE. So, on my home machine I installed it in WINE and played with it to get used to using it. I will try and get it installed in WINE on the machine at church and see how it works there.
autodctr

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:59 am

Reaper does work in WINE, but it does not give you ASIO support because the emulated Windows sound system is running on top of the real Linux sound system.
steve
Site Admin

Permanent link to this post Posted by autodctr » Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:14 pm

The JOY has returned. Went back to Xubuntu 14.04 and Audacity 2.0.5 on a 3.0 dual core with 4 gig RAM. No SSD: just 7,200 RPM spinner. Recorded 18 channels at 44.1 with no distortion.
autodctr

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:21 pm

That's excellent news. Now I'm wondering what the critical difference is.
steve
Site Admin

Permanent link to this post Posted by autodctr » Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:32 pm

steve wrote:That's excellent news. Now I'm wondering what the critical difference is.

You are not the only one wondering. 5 different machines and tons of combinations. Now I am using a waaaay lesser machine and having no problems at all. I guess that machine will die someday still running 14.04 and 2.0.5. Actually, I think that I am going to clone that drive and keep a spare HD ready to go either in that machine or another machine.

If there is anything I can do on this end to try and help you figure out what was up, lemme know: I will help if I can.

You can go ahead and close this thread. It is kinda solved and kinda not solved.

Thanks for you help, Steve.
autodctr

Previous

Return to GNU/Linux and Unix-like