need speed

Help for Audacity 2.x.x on GNU/Linux.

ImageThis forum is for Audacity 2.x.x on GNU/Linux and Unix-like operating systems.
Please state which version of Linux you are using, the exact three-section version number of Audacity from Help > About Audacity... and whether you installed your distribution's release or daily version of Audacity or compiled Audacity from source code.

Audacity 1.2.x and 1.3.x are obsolete and no longer supported. If you still have those versions, please upgrade at https://www.audacityteam.org/download/.
The old forums for those versions are now closed, but you can still read the archives of the 1.2.x and 1.3.x forums.

Re: need speed

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:35 pm

autodctr wrote: In fact, it still works in that,

1) Are you sure it "still" works?
2) What is that set-up (in detail)?

autodctr wrote:I am unable to record in 2.0 and reliably play it back and edit it in 2.1.

There's no reason in Audacity why that should not work. What's the problem when you try?
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)
steve
Site Admin

Operating System: Linux *buntu

Permanent link to this post Posted by autodctr » Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:33 am

It worked until I deleted it a month ago. That is when I could no longer edit a recording made in 2.0 in 2.1: when trying to play an area, the cursor would skip about 30 seconds forward and then start playing. I really needed it to start playing where I started it, not further ahead. I could edit it just fine in 2.0, but not 2.1.

The setup used for that was a 3.3 quad core, spinning HD running program, SSD recording, Audacity 2.0, Xubuntu 14.04. I had task manager running in the top bar: nothing close to maxing out: total RAM less than 800 meg, CPU usage less than 20%.
autodctr

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:12 am

autodctr wrote:It worked until I deleted it a month ago

Was that also the time when you tried using Xubuntu 16.04 64 bit?

autodctr wrote:when trying to play an area, the cursor would skip about 30 seconds forward and then start playing

Probably irrelevant now that you no-longer have the 14.04 machine, but I can't think of any reason why that would happen. There are no changes to the project format to account for it. The only thing I can think of is that there have been some updates to how Audacity handles bad (corrupt) data. It's an outside chance that your old machine was receiving bad data from the desk but was ignoring it, but that your new machine is rendering the bad data as noise. I don't think it's very likely, but that 'could' account for it, and I can't think of any alternative causes. Do you still have any old Audacity projects that were made with your Xubuntu 14.04 machine?

It 'could' still be a driver problem if 16.04 has updated drivers, but conversely I don't think we can rule out a hardware problem without trying to record with a non-Linux machine.
Is there any chance that you could try recording with a Mac or Windows machine connected to the Qu32 (at some time - no rush)?
steve
Site Admin

Permanent link to this post Posted by autodctr » Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:14 pm

Was that also the time when you tried using Xubuntu 16.04 64 bit?

No. I tried last year about a month after 16.04 was released. I tried Xubuntu 32 & 64 bit, Ubuntu Studio 32 & 64 bit. 2 different machines, several different HDs. Sometimes one HD, sometimes 2.

Probably irrelevant now that you no-longer have the 14.04 machine, but I can't think of any reason why that would happen. There are no changes to the project format to account for it. The only thing I can think of is that there have been some updates to how Audacity handles bad (corrupt) data. It's an outside chance that your old machine was receiving bad data from the desk but was ignoring it, but that your new machine is rendering the bad data as noise. I don't think it's very likely, but that 'could' account for it, and I can't think of any alternative causes. Do you still have any old Audacity projects that were made with your Xubuntu 14.04 machine?

I do still have some. The clips that you listened to were made last year. I still have a couple complete recordings that still play on Aud 2.0, but ship forward on 2.1. As for the quality, they are good: just the skipping when going from 2.0 to 2.1.

It 'could' still be a driver problem if 16.04 has updated drivers, but conversely I don't think we can rule out a hardware problem without trying to record with a non-Linux machine.
Is there any chance that you could try recording with a Mac or Windows machine connected to the Qu32 (at some time - no rush)?[/quote]

Possibly, however I only have 2 machines with Windows: one with 7 and one with 10. The Win10 machine is my main computer that I am using right now: It is in a gaming case and too big (and expensive) to lug around. There is a chance of me getting the Win 7 one out to the church and recording.
autodctr

Permanent link to this post Posted by autodctr » Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:16 pm

I see that my attempt to quote worked really well. Sigh.
autodctr

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:39 pm

autodctr wrote:I see that my attempt to quote worked really well. Sigh.

:D Oh well, never mind.
If you want to go back into the post and try to correct it, there should be an "Edit" button near the top right corner of the post.
When the post is open for editing, select the text that you want quoted, then click the "Quote" button.
Note that the Quote button won't work if you have an active script blocker (such as "No Script") running.
steve
Site Admin

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:42 pm

autodctr wrote:I still have a couple complete recordings that still play on Aud 2.0, but ship forward on 2.1.

If you could upload one to somewhere like "dropbox" and send me a link, I could see what they do on my Xubuntu 16.04 machine.

autodctr wrote:There is a chance of me getting the Win 7 one out to the church and recording.

As I said, no rush, but if you could try that some time, it could shed light on the problem.
steve
Site Admin

Permanent link to this post Posted by autodctr » Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:20 pm

Interesting. I just copied the last recording that I made. This is the third one in a row that I couldn't edit on 2.1. Just for the heck of it, I opened and it plays fine now. Too late now though: the 14.04 and Aud 2.0 machine has been wiped and 16.04 installed. AAARRRGGGGHHHH!!!!!!!!!!
autodctr

Permanent link to this post Posted by autodctr » Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:14 pm

Here is the deice list that you requested.

It got worse today. I figured that there was no need to use Jack, since it had the same problem, so I recorded the sermon via analog and it was fine. I was then going to play around a bit with Audacity, but I now have this problem: the speed is way off when I chose the QU32 and 18 channels. I recorded 5 minutes (by the clock) but Audacity was only up to a little over 1.5 minutes! I tried reinstalling Audacity, but no difference.
Attachments
deviceinfo.txt
(4.42 KiB) Downloaded 9 times
autodctr

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:52 am

With Jack NOT running, try setting both the recording device and the playback device to "QU-32: USB Audio (hw:1,0)" in the device toolbar, and set the "Project Rate" (in the lower left corner of the main window) to 48000.
The project rate can be set to 48000 as the default in "Edit > Preferences > Quality".
steve
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to GNU/Linux and Unix-like