FLAC file size oddity

Help for Audacity 2.x.x on GNU/Linux.

ImageThis forum is for Audacity 2.x.x on GNU/Linux and Unix-like operating systems.
Please state which version of Linux you are using, the exact three-section version number of Audacity from Help > About Audacity... and whether you installed your distribution's release or daily version of Audacity or compiled Audacity from source code.

Audacity 1.2.x and 1.3.x are obsolete and no longer supported. If you still have those versions, please upgrade at https://www.audacityteam.org/download/.
The old forums for those versions are now closed, but you can still read the archives of the 1.2.x and 1.3.x forums.

FLAC file size oddity

Permanent link to this post Posted by nesrad » Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:43 pm

Hello Audacity experts,

I've made a video with the audio recorded in FLAC. The total file size, including video, is 29.6 MB. The entire thing is done with ffmpeg.

By opening the video file in Audacity, the FLAC track is automatically extracted. Nice!

If I immediately export the track to FLAC, the file size is 29.9 MB. Bigger than the original including video, and I haven't even touched the track. (I should point out that the video file is actually quite small, about 2.9 MB, since it's merely a slideshow.)

Now if I mess around with it by removing noise and normalizing, the file size jumps to 50.3 MB. But I haven't increased the quality in any way.

Can someone explain this behavior?

As a bonus question for those of you who are familiar with ffmpeg: If I try extracting the FLAC file directly from the video using
Code: Select all
ffmpeg -i video_file.mkv -acodec copy audio_file.flac
, the resulting file size is as expected 26.7 MB, but I only get the first 19 seconds of audio out of 18:53. What's going on?
nesrad

Operating System: Linux Debian

Re: FLAC file size oddity

Permanent link to this post Posted by Gale Andrews » Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:42 pm

Have you considered whether you are exporting 24-bit or 16-bit FLAC from Audacity?

Gale
________________________________________FOR INSTANT HELP: (Click on Link below)
* * * * * Tips * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Quick Start Guide * * * * * Audacity Manual
Gale Andrews
Quality Assurance

Operating System: Windows 10

Return to GNU/Linux and Unix-like