Uninstall built version

Hi everybody,

I’m under Ubuntu 16.04 32 bits and I installed Audacity 2.1.3 by building and compiling the sources. But before, I forgot to install different packages, such as lame, twolame, ffmpeg, etc… The compilation and installation were OK, but now when I want to open an MP3 file, I can’t and it tell me : “This Audacity version wasn’t compiled with MP3 file support”.

So, what to do ?

• re-compile the sources ?.. I tried it, but it’s always the same (I have installed the missing packages before).
  • unsintalling the installed version ?.. but, how to do this ? How to uninstall a compiled version installation ? And I hope the re-installation after will be right.
  • any other ideas ?..

In the help screen, system information tab, it is written : “libmad disabled, libid3tag disabled, QuickTime disabled, gstreamer disabled, Audio Units disabled, SoudTouch disabled” (all the others are enabled).
May be… how to enable those that disabled ?..

Thank you for your help.

Yes, but you need to reconfigure as well.

From the directory where you ran “make install”, run “make uninstall”

I’d suggest that you first uninstall, then run

make distclean

to remove the build and configuration files,
Then run configure, make and make install.

Have you seen the instructions here: Building Audacity 2.1.2 on Ubuntu 15.10
I think they should work for 16.04

Great, wonderfull ! ! ! :slight_smile:
Thank you so much for your very right answer.
(what a loooooong time compiling… almost one hour…)

If you have a multi-core processor, use the “-j” switch with “make”. Setting this to “number of cores +1” generally gives the fastest build time without crashing.

For example, for a 4 core processor:

make -j 5