default export to mp3 not aiff

NOTE: Out of deparation I tried the rpm 2.1.0 version from here:
http://packman.links2linux.org/package/286 installed it
and have edited a few songs thru it and it seems to be working. [as in it puts the .mp3 extension on the edited song. I don’t know what ‘bugs’ were in 2.1.0 but they don’t seem to be effecting my work yet.
So as much as I would like to carryon solving this problem, I think I will leave it here and get some work done.
Thank You.

openSUSE Leap 42.2 64-bit, KDE Plasma 5.8.3, Audacity 2.1.2

Just did a fresh install of openSuse 42.2 along with Audacity 2.1.2 [from packman repo].
Mostly, I just use audacity to alter or cut out silence and other noise from beginning or end of an mp3. I very rarely use anything but .mp3 extension.
I had occaision to use Audacity today and have found that I cannot change the .aiff extension when I Export an audio file after altering it.
When I click on File >Export Audio the window that opens says mp3 [toward bottom right] but the extension on the file is .aiff.
I have checked in Edit>Preferences>Import and Export, I see no area to specify my choice of .mp3 extension.
In Home >.audacity-data > audacity.cfg I have looked thru the file and find Format=MP3. I am not sure if that means it is default, but I see nothing else about mp3 or aiff.

Is there another audacity config file located elsewhere, that I can set my preference in ?
Thank You

I’s a bug, but it only affects the name of the file, not the actual format.
Just type the name of the file including the correct file extension, and the exported file should be correct.
Alternatively, or if you forget to do that, just correct the name of the file after you have exported it.

Thanks for reply Steve.
Where can I watch for the fix?

Unfortunately it has been difficult to pin down the cause of this problem, so there is no fix as yet, which means that the problem will still be present in Audacity 2.1.3 which is due for release very soon.

Can I revert back to an earlier version that did it correctly? If so, what version to revert to?
I am editing a large amount of files and this having to

Just type the name of the file including the correct file extension, and the exported file should be correct.
Alternatively, or if you forget to do that, just correct the name of the file after you have exported it.

does take a considerable amount of time to do this when it is a large quanity of files.
[e.g.] 20 seconds a file times 2500 files?

Thanks

I don’t understand.

If it takes 5 seconds to type the file name “abcdefg”, then it does not take 25 seconds to type “abcdefg.wav”.

What are you doing that requires exporting 2500 files?

You can use any version you like, but you run the risk of having other bugs to deal with that are now fixed in 2.1.2.

We aim to make each version of Audacity better than previous versions, so I can’t really recommend an old version. Perhaps 2.1.0? I’m not sure - I don’t have that version installed at the moment. I agree that it’s a bit irritating to have to manually type the file extension, but I don’t find it a big issue. Perhaps there’s something about your workflow that makes it a bigger problem for you?

What are you doing that requires exporting 2500 files?

My Band has recorded music over the years and I want to edit and put on CD’s for friends.
As well as just clean up these files.

I am only suggesting to revert to an older version until this problem and my editing are done.

Perhaps 2.1.0?

Please where would I get a copy of version 2.1.0? I have visited the sourceforge site but don’t see it there.

If it takes 5 seconds to type the file name “abcdefg”, then it does not take 25 seconds to type “abcdefg.wav”.

Each song is taking from 30 seconds to one minute, partially because I am creating ID3 tags, cutting dead space and giving credits, as well as having to copy/paste the extension correction. So you can see, with that number of files, I want to cut down the time where I can.

Also, and I don’t know if this has been noted as a bug yet, but sometimes when I try to import a song [File>Import>Audio and the import selection window opens I cannot find the file I am looking for. I can see it in my file manager[Dolphin], but not in the Import selection window. My only means of getting the file into audacity is to drag & drop.
And at times the file names I see in the import selection window do not look the same as in the file manager[Dolphin], sometimes they are mis-spelled or add extra letters where they are not in the file manager.

Sourceforge only holds source code for Linux and does not have later than 2.1.0.

2.1.1 is the last version that does not have this issue.

Releases · audacity/audacity · GitHub has source code for 2.1.0 and 2.1.1. You can compile that source code yourself if you wish.

You “can” get 2.1.0 here PackMan :: Package details for audacity but being a package, it might not install or work correctly in Leap.

Gale

It isn’t known about. And I don’t see it here: https://bugzilla.opensuse.org/buglist.cgi?quicksearch=audacity.

Do the files that are missing or mis-spelt always contain accented characters or symbols?

You may find 2.1.0 or 2.1.1 do not have this problem. Can you start a new topic if you want to discuss in detail?

Gale

@Gale - new topic started re: 2 part issue with File>Import>Audio [will need approval before it posts.]

Yes it might be better to compile . I have not done that often but I will try to compile.
Thank You for the links.

Dear steve et al.,

Unfortunately it has been difficult to pin down the cause of this problem, so there is no fix as yet, which means that the problem will still be present in Audacity 2.1.3 which is due for release very soon.

Can you please point me to the relevant bug ticket?

Yours,

Robert

http://bugzilla.audacityteam.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1315.

Gale

Thank you very much, Gale!

The cause may not have been pinned down, though a solution has been developed, and a patch is available for those that build from source Bug1315 fix suggested by Bobby Kent (export file dialog problem) · audacity/audacity@7ced70c · GitHub. With luck, it will be in the next release.

A version of that fix has been committed to the Audacity source code, so manually patching is not required, and it will be in the next release.