Given Up on audacity for recording

Help for Audacity 2.x.x on GNU/Linux.

ImageThis forum is for Audacity 2.x.x on GNU/Linux and Unix-like operating systems.
Please state which version of Linux you are using, the exact three-section version number of Audacity from Help > About Audacity... and whether you installed your distribution's release or daily version of Audacity or compiled Audacity from source code.

Audacity 1.2.x and 1.3.x are obsolete and no longer supported. If you still have those versions, please upgrade at https://www.audacityteam.org/download/.
The old forums for those versions are now closed, but you can still read the archives of the 1.2.x and 1.3.x forums.

Given Up on audacity for recording

Permanent link to this post Posted by A342WX7 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:03 pm

Audacity 2.1.2 Xubuntu 14.04.5

I'm trying to convert vinyl records to CD using an external sound device (Artpro Audio - USB phono Plus)
I've had so much trouble trying to record from this device using audacity that I've given up using audacity for recording.
- error messages like
Expression 'stream->playback.pcm' failed in 'src/hostapi/alsa/pa_linux_alsa.c', line: 4611
Expression 'alsa_snd_pcm_hw_params_set_format( pcm, hwParams, Pa2AlsaFormat( hostFormat ) )' failed in 'src/hostapi/alsa/pa_linux_alsa.c', line: 1789

With these error messages I have no confidence that audacity is recording my audio accurately.
I tried filling a bug report and was told that these error messages were "normal" for Linux.

- other recording issues include failing to start properly, and stalling during recording.

Instead I use the reliable tool arecord to record from the USB device into a single wav file per vinyl record side
and then use audacity to clean up the wav file and split it into tracks.

Much less stressful.
A342WX7

Operating System: Linux *buntu

Re: Given Up on audacity for recording

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:50 pm

A342WX7 wrote:- error messages like
Expression 'stream->playback.pcm' failed in 'src/hostapi/alsa/pa_linux_alsa.c', line: 4611
Expression 'alsa_snd_pcm_hw_params_set_format( pcm, hwParams, Pa2AlsaFormat( hostFormat ) )' failed in 'src/hostapi/alsa/pa_linux_alsa.c', line: 1789

Those are not error messages. They are just messages that report what Audacity is doing.
Audacity runs on Windows, Mac and Linux and supports a wide range of hardware and sound systems. When Audacity is launched, it has to figure out what hardware, what sound system, and what features are available, It does so by making calls to the sound system and seeing what comes back. If a call fails, then Audacity knows that feature is not available.

A342WX7 wrote:Instead I use the reliable tool arecord

Whatever works for you. arecord is a very lightweight recording application for ALSA, so it's a good choice when computer resources need to be kept to a minimum.
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)
steve
Senior Forum Staff

Operating System: Linux *buntu

Return to GNU/Linux and Unix-like