Override track

Hi,

Given two (stereo) tracks, each containing a recording of the same piece of music. What is the easiest way to select (the best) parts from both track to form a new track? Schematically ( | are cross-over points)

track 1:    xxxxxyy|yyyzz|zzzxxxxxy|yyy|yzzzzz
track 2 :   eeeeeee|aaaaa|ggggggggg|bbb|hhhhhh
result:     xxxxxyy|aaaaa|zzzxxxxxy|bbb|yzzzzz

Cut and paste is a possibility, but then I would prefer something similar to a track pair, where the first track always sounds unless there is something non-empty in the second track (wich would then sound instead). For example:

track 1:    xxxxxyyyyyzzzzzxxxxxyyyyyzzzzz
track 2 :          aaaaa         bbb
result:     xxxxxyyaaaaazzzxxxxxybbbyzzzzz

I can simulate something like this with envelopes, but this is not easy since both envelopes are independent.

One way of doing it:

Make a “Split” at each “|”.
To do that:

• select, for example the “yyyzz” section,
  • then press “Shift+Ctrl+K” to extend the selection to all tracks (alternatively, “Down cursor” to move to the next track, then “Enter” to toggle the selection on).
  • press Ctrl+i (Split tracks)

Repeat for each section.

Then silence each part that you don’t want:

• Double click on the audio clip
  • Ctrl+L

Tip: If you get a split in the wrong place, you can either “Undo” (Ctrl+Z) or “Join” the adjacent clips by clicking on the split line.

Try to place the clips during silences so as to avoid clicks at the edit positions.

Thanks for the valuable tips.

If you get a split in the wrong place, you can either “Undo” (Ctrl+Z) or “Join” the adjacent clips by clicking on the split line.

I hoped it would be possible to have movable split points, to fine-tune the exact location of the split.

Alternatively:

The (audible) result can also be obtained by making the splits as you suggested, and then mute the undesired parts. I know how to remove (Split Cut) such a part, or to silence it. Is it possible to mute them?

There’s no facility to mute individual clips, only tracks. You can however copy, duplicate or move clips from one track to another.
To drag a clip to a new empty track, use the Time Shift tool.
To drag vertically only (no change to time position), hold down the Ctrl key then drag while holding down the key.