Rescan Audio Devices causes a crash

Help for Audacity 2.x.x on GNU/Linux.

ImageThis forum is for Audacity 2.x.x on GNU/Linux and Unix-like operating systems.
Please state which version of Linux you are using, the exact three-section version number of Audacity from Help > About Audacity... and whether you installed your distribution's release or daily version of Audacity or compiled Audacity from source code.

Audacity 1.2.x and 1.3.x are obsolete and no longer supported. If you still have those versions, please upgrade at http://www.audacityteam.org/download/.
The old forums for those versions are now closed, but you can still read the archives of the 1.2.x and 1.3.x forums.

Rescan Audio Devices causes a crash

Permanent link to this post Posted by unfa » Sun Feb 26, 2017 5:26 pm

Hi!

This problem is happening to me randomly since I started using Audacity under GNU/Linux (about 10 years ago). With version 2.1.2 it's still there.

When I select from main menu Transport > Rescan Audio Devices, Audacity has a big chance of crashing. I got used to that and I always save my work before using that option.

I guess it might have something to do with JACK audio server, as I'm using it all the time.

I tried reporting a bug, but seems that getting access to Audacity's bug tracking system is not easy, so I'm here.

I wasn't able to purposely reproduce this right now to give any more detail.
Can anybody confirm this behavior?

I'm running Linux Mint 18 KDE 5 64-bit at the moment.
unfa

Operating System: Linux Mint

Re: Rescan Audio Devices causes a crash

Permanent link to this post Posted by Gale Andrews » Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:43 pm

If you have a bug to report, you do it here or by writing to our feedback address.

We can't open Audacity Bugzilla to the general public because we don't have the resources to manage the 95% non-bugs/already fixed bugs that would be reported (most of our users are on Windows, and there are a lot of Linux users on older versions of Audacity).

JACK issues are tracked here http://bugzilla.audacityteam.org/show_bug.cgi?id=56. Steve can comment when he sees this as he uses JACK, but Rescan is given as a workaround for connecting to newly added JACK ports, so it is not known that the Rescan crashes under JACK.

Clicking in the recording meter to start monitoring may crash Audacity if it has not yet used JACK for playback or recording in that session.

Does Rescan ever crash when JACK is not connected then you launch Audacity?

Gale
________________________________________FOR INSTANT HELP: (Click on Link below)
* * * * * Tips * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Quick Start Guide * * * * * Audacity Manual
Gale Andrews
Quality Assurance

Operating System: Windows 10

Return to GNU/Linux and Unix-like