loudness to low

Hello!

Using openSUSE 13.2
Audacity 2.0.5
Distribution release

I have a zoom H2 and made a fieldrecording. When I listen to it when the SD-Card is put into the zoom, the loudness is ok. As soon as I put the SD-Card into a card-reader on the computer and listen to it with Audacity, the loudness is much lower than in the zoom H2. It is nearly inaudible.

What can be done to get a good loudness with Audacity as with the zoom?

file STE-000.wav
STE-000.wav: RIFF (little-endian) data, WAVE audio, Microsoft PCM, 16 bit, stereo 44100 Hz

Greetings

Andreas

Try moving the playback-volume slider to the right …

http://manual.audacityteam.org/man/mixer_toolbar.html

It is already at the most right position. Also I doubleclicked the slider and ajusted the volume furthermore.
But the sound is already low, much lower than when I hear the file frpm within the zoom.

Andreas

You could amplify the sound to 0dB once it is in Audacity : that should make it louder
Amplify to 0dB in Audacity.png
If it’s a stereo-recording it’s possible for the waveform to cancel-out (destructive interference) if the stereo tracks are converted onto a mono track, (or played through one speaker *) , that cancellation process can reduce volume.

[ * Could be short-circuit in cable connecting headphones to computer making stereo into mono , i.e. try a fresh pair of headphones ].

Is there some master volume control on the computer that you need to increase? What playback device are you choosing in Audacity?

Gale