Leveler effect missing

Hi all,

Can’t find anything about this anywhere. I upgraded to the version of Audacity that comes with Fedora 25: 2.1.3-alpha-Nov 9 2016
and looking in the Effects menu, Leveler is no longer present. This is an effect I use frequently. Where has it gone to?

Thanks
-Matthew

It is now a preset in the Distortion effect: http://alphamanual.audacityteam.org/man/Distortion#leveller

If you are wanting to compress dynamics without distortion, the Limiter or Compressor effect may be better.

Note that generally, alpha releases are unstable. Expect the possibility of bugs if you use them, unless they are dated just before or immediately following an official Audacity release. Nov 9 2016 is quite close to an ongoing code freeze that started that month so it’s probably not bad, but please be aware. :wink:

I’m guessing Fedora 25 made an alpha available because Audacity 2.1.2 crashed using FC25’s Wayland window manager.

Gale

Distortion effect:

Nobody used the Leveler effect for Leveling. We all used it for the distinctive “air traffic controller” “two-way radio” distortion it could produce. So it was valuable, just not for adjusting volume.

I had a sample of me doing that jetliner voice thing and I can’t find it.

“Cathay29-Heavy descending to 300 feet.”

Koz