Audacity not working anymore

Hello,

I had installed Audacity and everything was working fine until it stopped opening.

The only change that I can think it could have affected audacity, is that I installed pyaudio, but I am not sure how could it have ‘damaged’ audacity.

I already purged, autoremoved and re-installed audacity from ppa.

Still does not open.

When I try to run from the terminal I get the following:

marco@marco-Satellite-P55t-B:~$ audacity &
[1] 29460
marco@marco-Satellite-P55t-B:~$ ALSA lib pcm_dsnoop.c:606:(snd_pcm_dsnoop_open) unable to open slave
ALSA lib pcm_dmix.c:1029:(snd_pcm_dmix_open) unable to open slave
ALSA lib pcm.c:2266:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.rear
ALSA lib pcm.c:2266:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.center_lfe
ALSA lib pcm.c:2266:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.side
ALSA lib pcm_dmix.c:1029:(snd_pcm_dmix_open) unable to open slave
audacity: symbol lookup error: audacity: undefined symbol: Pa_GetStreamHostApiType

I just see the logo of Audacity popping up in my screen and then disappearing.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Best Regards,

Marco.

What version of Ubuntu? What PPA are you using and what version of Audacity (all three numbers)?

Anyway, your error indicates that Audacity is looking for an incompatible version of PortAudio. Either a system update or PyAudio could have done this (given PyAudio adds bindings for PortAudio). You could remove stale/incompatible libportaudio files from /usr/local/lib but it would be much safer to launch Audacity with the following command so it looks for system PortAudio:

LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/ audacity

You can insert that command in your audacity.desktop file to save launching Audacity from the terminal each time.

Or create a soft link to the portaudio lib in /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu. See https://forum.audacityteam.org/t/audacity-suddenly-wont-start-solved/43016/2

Gale