Audacity won't play audio

Hi, I’m using Audacity 2.1.2-1, with Ubuntu 16.04. If it’s relevant, I downloaded Audacity through the terminal (

sudo apt-get install audacity

). I just installed it yesterday and it was working fine, but today it just… won’t play any audio? I’ve checked to make sure I’ve not muted it or something… the odd part is in preferences, where under playback devices, it doesn’t list “headphones” or “speakers”, just things like “HDMI”, “dmix”, “default”, etc. Also, through experimentation I’ve found that when I’m playing a song in Rhythmbox, and then I start Audacity, the audio cuts out everywhere, including sound test options in settings, Rhythmbox, Firefox, and so on. After uninstalling, the problem still persists. Any help?

Just a point of order, if the Audacity sound meter is jumping, then the song is playing, it just isn’t making it all the way out to you. That’s one of the diagnostics we use to figure out where it’s dying. I thought Audacity didn’t recognize the sound file when I first read the title. Koz

If you want to use other audio applications while using Audacity, choose the “default” or “pulse” playback device in Audacity.

Are you trying to record over a song playing in rhythmbox, or something else?

Gale

If you want to use other audio applications while using Audacity, choose the “default” or “pulse” playback device in Audacity.

Are you trying to record over a song playing in rhythmbox, or something else?

No; I was playing with editing a song that was opened via Audacity. However, the problem turned out to be that my internal mic was muted, and that somehow blocked the audio. (?) Thanks everyone for your help! :slight_smile: