Audacity 2.1.2 and saving as WAV

I’m running Linux Mint 18 64-bit. When I try to save audio as a WAV file, it’s saved as an AIFF file instead. Just wondering if the developers have noticed this and what can be done as a workaround.

Thanks!

Dave Gardiner

I can take a shot at this.

When you Export your work as the default WAV (Microsoft), it should appear as a standard, vanilla WAV sound file. If, however, you choose to Export as Other Uncompressed Files, Audacity produces a WAV file and then mis-labels it AIFF. I believe it’s just a matter of changing the filename.

All of this could be totally different in the Linux version. I don’t know. But I know Audacity has an actual bug very much like this.

Koz

I’m guessing that you’re using Audacity 2.1.2 (look in “Help > About Audacity”).
If that’s the case, then it’s a bug, but only a minor bug. In some cases, Audacity 2.1.2 will incorrectly add “.aiff” as the file name. This affects only the “name” of the file, but the file itself is OK. To work around the problem, either ensure that the file name has the correct “.wav” when you are exporting, or, for files that you have already exported,just change the file name from “whatever.aiff” to “whatever.wav”.

Tip: If you click on a file either on the Desktop or in a file browser window, and then press the “F2” key, the file name opens for editing.

either ensure that the file name has the correct “.wav”

That’s it. When you type the filename, also type .wav afterward. Don’t let Audacity add the file name extension.