Small (reproducible crash)...

Hi, trying out various effect filters and I found I could make Audacity crash if I do the following: [1] Start up Audacity and ‘add new / audio track’. [2] Zoom track to maximum [3] Select a small amount of track and then click ‘Effect / repair’ [4] Next click ‘Effect / Repeat’ > Audacity crashes with “Floating point exception”.

Regards.

I don’t see that here.
Which version of Audacity and which operating system?

Thanks for the report.

I can repeat the crash with simpler steps on Windows and Linux:

1 Generate Tone
2 Zoom in to maximum
3 drag-select a small distance in the waveform without drawing a selection there (that is, the selection will only be in the Timeline)
4 Effect > Repeat.

Gale

Sorry (rushing there), should have mentioned operating system > linux/ubuntu 10.10. And version of Audacity: Up to date from svn (12 oct 2013), and also tried an older version from January 2013

OK, got what you mean; the “Repeat” effect, not “Repeat Repair”.
Yes I can reproduce that, though why anyone would want to do that :confused: :smiley:

It looks like a pretty simple fix, but it is probably too late to be fixed in 2.0.5 which is due to be released in a matter of days.
This issue has been present for at least 3 years, but this is the first time anyone has raised the issue, so I don’t personally think it important enough to hold up the release of 2.0.5.

I’ve submitted a patch to the developers to prevent the problem arising: If the selection is less than the duration of 1 sample period, then “Repeat” is disallowed with an error message to say that the selection is too short. I’d expect that either this, or some other fix will be included in 2.0.6 which is provisionally scheduled for around the end of the year.

A modified version of Steve’s patch that provides that warning has been committed, so this problem should be fixed in 2.0.5 release.

Thanks, Steve.

Gale