Audacity crashes on startup

Hi,
I’m trying to run a fresh-from-the-repository Audacity on Ubuntu 12.04.2 (3.2.0-52 x64). The program crashes on startup:

ALSA lib pcm.c:2217:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.rear
ALSA lib pcm.c:2217:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.center_lfe
ALSA lib pcm.c:2217:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.side
ALSA lib audio/pcm_bluetooth.c:1614:(audioservice_expect) BT_GET_CAPABILITIES failed : Input/output error(5)
ALSA lib audio/pcm_bluetooth.c:1614:(audioservice_expect) BT_GET_CAPABILITIES failed : Input/output error(5)
ALSA lib pcm_dmix.c:957:(snd_pcm_dmix_open) The dmix plugin supports only playback stream
audacity: symbol lookup error: audacity: undefined symbol: Pa_GetStreamHostApiType

My (integrated) sound card is otherwise functional. It is an “Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) HD Audio Controller (rev 03)”.
Audacity is version 2.0.0-1ubuntu0.1.

Have a great day.

Please could you open a terminal window and enter:

audacity

and then post the terminal output in full.

That’s what’s betwixt the code tags.

That looks too short for a standard Ubuntu setup.
Is your sound system customised in any way? Do you have PulseAudio installed?

you have a problem with the port audio libraries version
if you installed yourself port audio in /usr/local/lib, try to uninstall it.

I compiled and installed myself, as I need it to develop.
Installation in /usr/local
Later I downloaded Audacity and got the same error as you.
I found other portaudio libs installed in /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/
I copied /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libportaudio* into /usr/local/lib/

and Audacity can now start.

The post that you replied to is almost a year old. I doubt that the original poster is still monitoring this topic.

I’ve very sorry for bringing this thread from the death but I’ve similar problem under Linux Mint 17.3 x64

How can I fix this problem?!

$ audacity

(process:26550): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: Attempt to add property GnomeProgram::sm-connect after class was initialised

(process:26550): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: Attempt to add property GnomeProgram::show-crash-dialog after class was initialised

(process:26550): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: Attempt to add property GnomeProgram::display after class was initialised

(process:26550): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: Attempt to add property GnomeProgram::default-icon after class was initialised
ALSA lib pcm_dsnoop.c:618:(snd_pcm_dsnoop_open) unable to open slave
ALSA lib pcm_dmix.c:1022:(snd_pcm_dmix_open) unable to open slave
ALSA lib pcm.c:2239:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.rear
ALSA lib pcm.c:2239:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.center_lfe
ALSA lib pcm.c:2239:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.side
bt_audio_service_open: connect() failed: Connection refused (111)
ALSA lib pcm_dmix.c:1022:(snd_pcm_dmix_open) unable to open slave
audacity: symbol lookup error: audacity: undefined symbol: Pa_GetStreamHostApiType

Where did you obtain Audacity? Do you know what version number it is?

Have you ever compiled PortAudio or some audio application that uses it? If so, then the answer above by biggil is correct.

Here is an easy to follow explanation of the problem and how to check where Audacity is looking for its PortAudio libraries Audacity Fails with the Pa_GetStreamHostApiType Error. – Sukrit Kalra.

If you are using Linux Mint’s installed Audacity package, then the problem seems to be a bad system update and you should report it to Linux Mint. The solution is the same, though - point to the PortAudio libs in usr/lib. See this post: Audacity suddenly wont start [SOLVED]

Gale