Cannot enable Audacity in pavucontrol

I just installed Mint 13, 32-bit to replace Mint 10. Audacity with Mint 10 worked fine previously (same hardware) but I cannot get it to be recognized in pavucontrol so that it will record what it hears…The sound card is on-board in my HP desktop and nothing has physically changed…I’ve not run into this problem before with this hardware configuration or in Mint. I could use any and all suggestions for getting pavucontrol to recognize the fact that Audacity is recording.

I have also recently installed Mint 13, pavucontrol and Audacity on my two laptops with no problems at all in configuring recording via pavucontrol.

Thanks in advance…

Did you remember that Audacity only appears in pavucontrol while it is actually playing / recording / paused ?
Do you have a “pulse” option in the Device Toolbar? http://manual.audacityteam.org/man/Device_Toolbar

Yes, I am familiar with pavucontrol and, oddly enough, today the option to use the Also plug-in appeared in sound preferences and I can now record from a “what I am hearing” source. I have no idea why it didn’t appear previously. Nothing was updated nor otherwise changed since I posted. Regardless, Audacity is a wonderful program for editing and recording. I have used it since it was first introduced and can find nothing better for my purposes.

Thanks for the reply…I appreciate it…

Well, success was short-lived…cannot record again…nothing shows in the Recording/Applications section of pavucontrol…I am truly stumped as to why Audacity isn’t being shown even though it is active and trying to record.

Once again, any and all suggestions are most welcome…

Thanks in advance

Incidentally, I installed audio-recorder and it records streaming audio and my web cam micbjust fine…my web cam mic records fine in Audacity as well but no streaming signal of any kind. I cannot understand why I can’t get pavucontrol to monitor (enable) the stream into Audacity…and, yes, the Alsa plug-in is showing as being enabled…so, still looking for an answer…

Thanks for any and all help…

“Help menu > Audio Device Info…”
What is listed in there? (the info can be copied and pasted into your reply).

I’m not sure, but at the moment it sounds like some other application has grabbed exclusive control of the sound card - old versions of the Flash web browser plug-in used to do that.

I can record again!!!..I kep trying different settings in Audacity and, finally, the default: Line: 0 setting showed up in pavucontrol as having the Alsa plug-in enabled and being monitored…didn’t work yesterday but it works today… anyway, thanks for the replies…I sincerely appreciate you takig the time to offer assistance…