Audacity 2.0.2-alpha fails on Export[FIXED]

I’m running Audacity 2.0.2 alpha under Ubuntu 11.10. My OS maintenance is current. I installed 2.0.2 from my Software Center. I am running on an IBM ThinkPad T43 with 2 gig of memory and a 2.0 gig chip.

When I export a project as an MP3 or WAV file Audacity begins the export, and then shuts down. My target directory will contain the exported file and my media play will open the file but the file will be truncated by several seconds.

I can dump my project files to a flash drive and take them to my Windows XP sp3 machine running Audacity 2.0.1. I can load my project files into Window’s Audacity and then export them to any format without any problem.

I am concerned that my Audacity running under Ubuntu is abending during the export and that the exported files are always truncated.

I can re-create the problem at will. 2.0.2 Audacity running under Ubuntu 11.10 fails consistently on export.

The problem first introduced itself into my system about a week or two weeks ago. I have noticed several problems with Audacity including abends requiring project recovery which seem to have started at about the same time. Lately it seems I see Audacity maintenance coming down about every other day.

If I can submit a dump or a trace or any other diagnostic, please let me know. As I mentioned previously, I can re-create the problem at will.

Thank you in advance for your time and your considerable patience.

Random

Thanks for writing, but Ubuntu “Software Center” should not in my view be offering 2.0.2 when you search for Audacity (if that is what you mean). 2.0.2 has not been released yet. If you use the alpha you should not use it as a production version of Audacity.

When you say “abend” do you mean “crash”?

The problem is probably this:
http://bugzilla.audacityteam.org/show_bug.cgi?id=559

but if you build the latest Audacity version r11859 or later, or install the PPA build from 20th July at https://launchpad.net/~audacity-team/+archive/daily , you may find the crash problem has gone. Prior to 11859, there may also be crashes on export if you have multiple tracks of different length.

As we don’t know what workflow you are applying to your audio it would be much more useful if you would upload a zip of the project (.aup file and _data folder). Please include all the steps you apply from launch of Audacity. You can upload to:

http://minus.com/
https://castle.so/ (maximum 256 MB)

Gale

Thank you for your prompt reply, Gail.

The software distributed through the Ubuntu 11.10 Software Center is “audacity 2.0.1+svn20120717+r7260-0~r15~oneiric1”. When that Audacity distribution boots, the “Welcome to Audacity!” page says “Welcome to Audacity 2.0.2-alpha Jul 17 2012!”

Just to be clear; are you recommending that Ubuntu users do not install Audacity distributed from the Software Center (the default software repositories included with the Ubuntu 11.10 distro)? I did not know, and certainly there is nothing in the Software Center Audacity description to suggest, that 2.0.2 is not a stable, fully supported production release.

I am reviewing the bug reports now. I am, in fact, exporting projects with multiple tracks of different lengths. However, I am wondering if it wouldn’t be better to uninstall Audacity and re-install a more “supported” (i.e. non-alpha) release? In your opinion, which would be your recommendation for the most stable production release level?

I will zip up a project and post it to sendspace later today. I can get the export to fail as soon as I open a project. The workflow description would read “open project - export - re-boot Aduacity”. I am trying to say that the export will fail whether I have edited or recorded or applied effects or not.

You are correct when you ask whether “abend” means “crash”. The term is old-school IBM geek-speak for “abnormal ending”. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abnormal_end. Thank you for the opportunity to clarify myself.

Thank you again for your time and attention.

All the best,

Random

Good news, Gail.

The “daily build” link you sent me to installed clean and not only solved the export problem but also seems to have addressed crash/abend problems I had seen over the last two weeks or so after “mix and render” operations.

Just for curiosity sake, I uninstalled the daily build and re-installed Audacity from the Software Center. That distribution has been updated to read “Welcome to Audacity 2.0.2-alpha-Jul 20 2012!” three days later than my last installed distribution. This distribution also seems to have fixed the “export” and “mix and render” problems (and presumably others as well). So far, so good…

BUT - I seem to have lost all my LADSPA and Nyquist plug ins. I have been to the Audacity FAQ and have been to LADSPA page (http://www.ladspa.org/) but I am still uncertain exactly what I need to do to recover my effects (FreeVerb especialy among others).

I am assuming this is some sort of sudo get-apt install command process from my Terminal, but I am unclear exactly how to point to the correct repository and I am unclear of the correct terminal commands I need to use. I wondered if you would be able to shed some light in that regard. I am running under Ubuntu 11.10. All my maintenance is current.

Thank you for your help so far, and thank you in advance for you time and attention.

All the best,

Random

It’s “Gale” (male). :wink:

My point is, how did you find out about 2.0.2 alpha and what link failed to tell you those were not released builds? I avoid the so-called “Software Centre” as it is IMO too slow and lacking in usability, but when you obtained Ubuntu 11.10, searching for "Audacity " in the Software Centre should have offered you the 1.3.13 repository package of Audacity (which was a released Beta version of Audacity). If you were to update to the current Ubuntu 12.04, Software Centre should IMO offer you the Ubuntu-released 2.0.0 version of Audacity when you search. If you are concerned with stability then you want to use the latest Ubuntu version and install the latest Ubuntu-released package of Audacity (not Daily Builds).

I agree if you install the Daily Builds from https://launchpad.net/~audacity-team/+archive/daily, then you can access the Daily Builds (as updated by Update Manager) from the Software Centre, but I don’t agree with Ubuntu that the version of Audacity is hidden way down at the bottom of the description, and fails to indicate the build is unstable.

Gale

OK. You will probably still find silences if you play across clips. That problem is not fixed yet.

You should not have lost plug-ins on installing / updating the Daily Build. I don’t know what you did in Software Centre (by the look of it, uninstalled and reinstalled the same Daily Build) but I recommend installing Synaptic instead to manage packages (and update Daily Builds if you want them through Update Manger).

This page indicates where Audacity looks for plug-ins on Linux:
Audacity Manual .

Gale

Thank you for your prompt reply, Gale. I have more good news.

I was able to reinstall all my LADSPA plugins. I found the bulk of them in the Software Center under a package called “cmt” (lower case). A query of Software Center with the keyword “LADSPA” returns some Jack software and nothing else; however a search of “cmt” returns “a collection of LADSPA plugins”. cmt drops in clean and low and behold, there is Freeverb. Additionaly, I found “sudo apt-get install blop caps cmt fil-plugins ladspa-sdk mcp-plugins omins swh-plugins tap-plugins” on another website and now I have an embarrasement of riches regardin LADSPA plugins.

My point is, how did you find out about 2.0.2 alpha and what link failed to tell you those were not released builds? I avoid the so-called “Software Centre” as it is IMO too slow and lacking in usability, but when you obtained Ubuntu 11.10, searching for "Audacity " in the Software Centre should have offered you the 1.3.13 repository package of Audacity (which was a released Beta version of Audacity). If you were to update to the current Ubuntu 12.04, Software Centre should IMO offer you the Ubuntu-released 2.0.0 version of Audacity when you search.

I don’t know that I “found out about 2.0.2 alpha” other than I went to my Software Center and loaded what it offered. My opinion (or anyone else’s) had nothing to do with my selection of 2.0.2-alpha. Under the Software Center running under 11.10 the distribution application software is, evidently, 2.0.2-alpha. And, evidently, between July 17th and July 20 there was a change in the distribution correcting my “export” and “mix and render” problems. I think that might explain why I see so much Audacity maintenance come down these days (two or three times a week).

I remember that I was concerned that my first installation (late last year) was a 1.3.X beta and how glad I was (around the first of the year) that I was going to be working with a fully supported production release with 2.0.X. (I do remember that 1.3.X beta for my purposes was solid and stable.)

In any case, all’s well that ends. Please close this problem as “solved”.

I very much appreciate your time and attention.

Here’s a little piece of what you and I have been working on. I think it is what everyone involved with software support of any kind can truly appreciate. …in gratitude for your time and attention (and considerable patience).
http://www.sendspace.com/file/zt892w

All the best,

random coolzip