SOLVED: Audacity et Skype

Question also in French at https://forum.audacityteam.org/t/audacity-et-skype/25068/1

Hello!

I must record and transmit by phone (or computer) a conference, so I use Audacity 2 and Skype 4 on Lubuntu 12.04 with a USB interface connected between the sono and the computer.
I have a problem : I can’t use the same device as microphone in Audacity and Skype at the same time. When I use it in one of the two applications, it is hidden in the second.
I think Audacity uses ALSA whereas Skype uses Pulseaudio. I created a .asoundrc file with these lines :

pcm.pulse {
    type pulse
}
ctl.pulse {
    type pulse
}
pcm.!default {
    type pulse
}
ctl.!default {
    type pulse
}
pcm.skypeout
{
	type plug
	slave.pcm "dmix"
}
ctl.skypeout
{
	type hw
	card 0
}
pcm.skypein
{
	type plug
	slave.pcm "input"
}
ctl.skypein
{
	type hw
	card 0
}

Is there any way (and how) to use the same microphone device with both Audacity and Skype simultaneously (this work on Windows 7)?
Thank you in advance for your answer!

This is just a cut-and-paste answer, because no-one else has answered for some reason. I am not a Linux guru.

Can you explain why you want to use the microphone in Skype and Audacity at the same time then we may be able to help you better.

Audacity can use the pulse device under ALSA host (look in Audacity’s Device Toolbar). Normally you can use PulseAudio Volume Control (pavucontrol) to set Audacity to record from the monitor of the sound card. However both sides of the conversation are recorded on the same track(s).

You can use Skype Call Recorder (open source, free) to record Skype (http://atdot.ch/scr/download/).

Or using Jackd and PulseAudio (you need pulseaudio-module-jack), set up Skype to use Jack Source and Jack Sink
then record with the audio recording application of your choice (Audacity for example).

Gale

With Windows 7 : Audacity uses Microsoft sound mapper and Skype the USB microphone device. So I would like to know how to do a similar thing with GNU/Linux.

I don’t want to record the skype conversation but the audio conference (a speech with a speaker in the room) and simultaneously transmit it through Skype for persons who can’t assist to the speech.
Thank you.

I don’t think that you need the “skype” lines in .asoundrc
If you comment out those lines, can you still get Skype to work with Pulse?

Set Audacity to use “default” or “pulse” as the recording input and playback output.
Use Pulse Audio Volume Control (pavucontrol) to adjust levels and which device(s) are used.

I will try your suggestions this weekend and I tell you. :slight_smile:

I removed the “skype” lines in .asoundrc
I tried recording with audacity by setting “default” or “pulse” or "USB micro device " : it works… but the input setting in Skype switch to “default” rather than staying in “USB micro device” option. So, transmission doesn’t work once I start recording with Audacity.

I tried with

padsp audacity

command to use OSS but I had a error message : can’t find any input device.

Is there any “Microsoft sound mapper” equivalent for GNU/Linux?
I search, I search…

You need to use PulseAudio Volume Control (pavucontrol).
Do you have that installed? If not, it is available in the Ubuntu repository.

Open Skype and PulseAudio Volume Control.
Don’t use padsp audacity. Just start Skype normally.
Start a Skype Test Call and Skype will appear in the Recording tab of PulseAudio Volume Control.
skype.png
From here you can set Skype to take its input from any available device.

Yes, it is already installed.

Interesting!
I will try your suggestions and I tell you. :wink:

To avoid waiting for this weekend, I just tried your suggestion at home with my USB webcam microphone:

I opened Skype and PulseAudio Volume Control then I started a Skype Test Call and Skype appeared in the Recording tab of PulseAudio Volume Control. I set Skype to take its input from my USB webcam microphone. OK.
But once I launched Audacity and tried to record the Skype Test Call (input: my USB webcam microphone), the record in Audacity didn’t work because the device was already used. Same thing with “default” or “pulse” input… :confused:
In PulseAudio Volume Control, the tab name is “Recording”. Does it mean that the Skype Test Call was recorded anywhere I don’t know?

Thank you for your patience! :wink:

Here Skype and Audacity are both set up to use PulseAudio.
PulseAudio Volume Control is then used to route the USB input to both applications.
Skype2.png

Thanks!
I will test and I tell you. :slight_smile:

Congratulations Steve! :sunglasses:
It works fine, as I want: with the settings you wrote me and with pulseaudio-equalizer desactivated.

Many, many thanks! :wink: