ubuntu 11.10 guitar sounding strange

Help for Audacity 2.x.x on GNU/Linux.

ImageThis forum is for Audacity 2.x.x on GNU/Linux and Unix-like operating systems.
Please state which version of Linux you are using, the exact three-section version number of Audacity from Help > About Audacity... and whether you installed your distribution's release or daily version of Audacity or compiled Audacity from source code.

Audacity 1.2.x and 1.3.x are obsolete and no longer supported. If you still have those versions, please upgrade at https://www.audacityteam.org/download/.
The old forums for those versions are now closed, but you can still read the archives of the 1.2.x and 1.3.x forums.

ubuntu 11.10 guitar sounding strange

Permanent link to this post Posted by JacobGates » Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:27 am

I have a USB interface to plug my guitar into and then to my computer it is Audiobox USB by presonus. when I have the track on monitor my guitar sounds almost like it has a slicer effect or something on it. but when i record it it doesn't sound as bad (but is still there). I think its something with the play back settings. when I set the bit rate and everything to where it sounds okay it crashes shortly after... is this something wrong with my kernel rate?
JacobGates

Operating System: Please select

Re: ubuntu 11.10 guitar sounding strange

Permanent link to this post Posted by bgravato » Sat Mar 24, 2012 1:44 pm

Can you upload a short sample of it? Only a few seconds. Export it either as WAV or FLAC. The file should be smaller than 1MB.

To upload to the forum, when you post a reply, look at the Upload attachment tab under the text box.
Include as much details as you can in your post (Audacity version, Operating System, Equipment used, etc).
Please post your question in the appropriate forum (regarding audacity version and operating system).
bgravato
Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by JacobGates » Sun Mar 25, 2012 4:33 am

well it doesn't do it in the recording... not as much at least. I can just barely hear it in the recording playback. its only on the monitor of the instrument.
JacobGates

Permanent link to this post Posted by bgravato » Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:04 pm

Do you have software playthrough on? Is the problem gone if you turn it off?
Software playthrough is known for causing trouble on linux.
Include as much details as you can in your post (Audacity version, Operating System, Equipment used, etc).
Please post your question in the appropriate forum (regarding audacity version and operating system).
bgravato
Forum Staff

Return to GNU/Linux and Unix-like