audacity 2.0 svn on Ubuntu 10.04 (SOLVED)

Hi Audacity folks,

I was able to download the 2.0 SVN code and compile on Ubuntu 10.04 (Lucid) (x86-64)
after installing all of the wxwidgets 2.8.12 code.

Couple of minor problems:

Since my (and AFAIK every) Ubuntu distro uses PulseAudio, I get a bunch of
ALSA errors when launching Audacity 2.0. I dont’ know if I have a bunged up
Alsa config, but these line seems to be the key:
Expression ‘stream->capture.pcm’ failed in ‘src/hostapi/alsa/pa_linux_alsa.c’, line: 3857
Audacity 2.0 actually can capture an input stream fine when newly lanuched, but sometimes I have to relaunch it
when it messes up.

It can’t seem to find my FFMPEG libs, even though I downloaded source, compiled and installed them.
(Of course I’ve tried setting the lib manually) Doesn’t seem to matter much, though. Should it?

The menus tend to disappear sometimes. I can usually do something and get wxwidgets to refresh them.

Looking forward to trying the improved noise reduction, among other goodies. :mrgreen:

regards,
rj45

That’s normal. It’s just an information message, not an error message.
This is what I get when launching Audacity if Jack is not running:

ALSA lib pcm.c:2190:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.rear
ALSA lib pcm.c:2190:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.center_lfe
ALSA lib pcm.c:2190:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.side
ALSA lib pcm_dmix.c:957:(snd_pcm_dmix_open) The dmix plugin supports only playback stream
Cannot connect to server socket err = No such file or directory
Cannot connect to server socket
jack server is not running or cannot be started
Expression 'stream->playback.pcm' failed in 'src/hostapi/alsa/pa_linux_alsa.c', line: 3875
Expression 'stream->playback.pcm' failed in 'src/hostapi/alsa/pa_linux_alsa.c', line: 3875
Expression '*idev = open( idevName, flags )' failed in 'src/hostapi/oss/pa_unix_oss.c', line: 811
Expression 'OpenDevices( idevName, odevName, &idev, &odev )' failed in 'src/hostapi/oss/pa_unix_oss.c', line: 857
Expression 'PaOssStream_Initialize( stream, inputParameters, outputParameters, streamCallback, userData, streamFlags, ossHostApi )' failed in 'src/hostapi/oss/pa_unix_oss.c', line: 1234

And this is what I get when launching Audacity when Jack is running:

ALSA lib pcm.c:2190:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.rear
ALSA lib pcm.c:2190:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.center_lfe
ALSA lib pcm.c:2190:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.side
ALSA lib pcm_dmix.c:957:(snd_pcm_dmix_open) The dmix plugin supports only playback stream
Expression '*idev = open( idevName, flags )' failed in 'src/hostapi/oss/pa_unix_oss.c', line: 811
Expression 'OpenDevices( idevName, odevName, &idev, &odev )' failed in 'src/hostapi/oss/pa_unix_oss.c', line: 857
Expression 'PaOssStream_Initialize( stream, inputParameters, outputParameters, streamCallback, userData, streamFlags, ossHostApi )' failed in 'src/hostapi/oss/pa_unix_oss.c', line: 1234

FFmpeg can be a pain because of dependencies.
I believe that FFmpeg is included in the Audacity dependencies, and the standard Ubuntu distro version of FFmpeg should work fine with Audacity 2.0.
The easiest way to satisfy all of the dependencies in Debian based distributions is to use:

sudo apt-get build-dep audacity

If you ran “sudo make install” to install Audacity, run “sudo make uninstall” to uninstall it.

Ubuntu installs the repo version of Audacity into /usr/ but the default configuration for the source code is /usr/local/
If you configure Audacity to install in /usr/ then Audacity should automatically find any LADSPA plug-ins that you have installed.
If you don’t do this and want to use LADSPA plug-ins you need to add a LADSPA_PATH environment variable, or move any repository installed LADSPA plug-ins to a location where Audacity will find them. See here for more details: Missing features - Audacity Support

Before building Audacity again I’d suggest running “make distclean” which will remove both the built files and the previous configuration. Then run ./configure --prefix=/usr/

To summarise,

1. Remove your custom build of FFmpeg.
  2. Install dependencies using:
sudo apt-get build-dep audacity
  1. Open a Terminal window in the root of the Audacity source code.
  2. enter the following commands:
sudo make uninstall
<password>

make distclean
./configure --prefix=/usr/
make
sudo make install
<password>

If you find that Audacity still does not find FFmpeg after doing this, please post the contents from Audacity “Help menu > Show Log”.

I think that is a known issue. Probably related to this bug: http://bugzilla.audacityteam.org/show_bug.cgi?id=458

Thanks guys!

I have so much respect for the great work in FOSS Audacity, and depend on it constantly.
Steve, your suggestions were perfect. Audacity now finds the ffmpeg libs fine.

warm regards,
don (rj)