Can't open Audacity files

I have been using the program for about a month to start a podcast. I have had no problem opening files until today. Now I can see the icon for the .au file but it is inactive and won’t open the file.

I do have the backup data files and tried to follow the instructions to import those, but that doesn’t work either.

I am able to open the files that I have converted to mp3.

I am overall not very computer savvy and need help!! I have put so much time and work into these episodes and need to get these files! I am hoping there is a quick fix that I am just not finding.

My system is OS 9.5 - I know this says 10 and newer but I can’t find another place to post. I am using audacity 2.2.1. Any help would be appreciated.

Audacity 2.2.1 will not run on OS 9. Mac OS 9.5 does not exist - the last version was 9.2.2 released in 2001. You probably have OS X 10.9.5. Could you confirm this by going to About this Mac ?

You want to open the .aup file, not the .au files.

What do you mean “the icon is inactive”?

What Mac model to you have? “About this Mac” will also tell you that.

– Bill

You need to get all these details nailed down before we go off in all directions. We’re trying to diagnose your system from multiple timezones and any quality information you give us is good. We have to build your system in our heads.

Koz